1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal primers vs Winchester 209

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I'm having to wait on my supplier to get Winchester primers... but he has plenty of Federal primers.

Are the Federals OK, and will they interchange without messing up my reload hulls when I/if I get more Winchester 209's..

...and will I have to change my reloading recipes to use the Federals, since all my mecs are set up with Win 209 formulas.

Also....Any other information that I might need to know about Federal vs Winchester primers would really be appreciated..

Thanks and best regards...Stan

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

From the old school,all I ever use for all my trap loads---Rem---FED---AA is loaded with Fed 209A primers---They work for me in all----George@SJB

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Depends on your specific load as to wether you will need to change powder drop. They will most likely raise pressures (not always however) and possibly velocity (not always however). They are the hottest primer on the market if they are 209A's.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Probably depends on the chamber pressure of your current data, Fed. 209A usually generate higher pressures, and so less powder. Ross Puls

5. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Drop your powder charge .5 gr when going from Win primer to Fed primer. The Fed primer is hotter than the Win primer.

6. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

Nebs said it perfect .............

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Anybody note that Feds stick out a bit on the bottom of the hull and slowly work on the face of the receiver? I stopped using them

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My Mec and Dillon loaders seat the fed primer perfect---Never saw any defacing but I'll pay more attention----Something to look at--I only use brass hulls--
    I think steel based hulls would do more damage than the primer.

--Thanks----George

9. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

Read the warnings in your reloading manuals Lyman and RCBS both have them in the primer section.

10. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

I chronographed Fed. Win. Rio's through my Ohler Chrono shot all with same tube wad just diffenent primer shot 5 shells each Rio's and Fed were closest Win. varied more like 35 ft sec all using Clays international powder.Dan Rio's are cheaper but 1000ths oversized I have 20,000 of them on hand once you use them keep using them in same hull,Looking to buy Fed.209 primers to replace Rio's,Just like staying with factory specs. Anybody know if New AA primers are different than the ones they sell to reload with,Dan

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I use both Rem and Fed 209A---Mostly Feds since I try to only use the Rems in Rem hulls but I can't tell any difference in results or felt recoil---I do stay with recommended Alliant guide with Red Dot powder---I also use the Feds more because they're cheaper---I am now running out of Feds and hope I can get more with nxt club shipment----George

12. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Nebs said it correctly.....same message I got from Alliant Powder. There was an article in TrapShooting USA not long ago, that was dedicated to Primer Analysis. You could do a search or call them for the date of that article. Well worth reading it two or three times, if you like technical data.

13. oz

oz Active Member

you are lucky to get any primers. there are some shotgun primers available but NO rifle or pistol primers.

14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Primers won't be the only problem,---If they ever get through serializing casings were all done reloading---Better stay tuned to the NRA---That's all we have----Like one of them said----It's time to start drying this stuff up---
    Drip by drip---George@SJB

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

FrankC......... I've shot literally thousands of Federal primers in all different hulls and different guns and have never had that problem.... I would have to call you out on that one. It ain't the primers or we would all quit using them... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Right on Trap2---I'v also used 1000s in my 2 K-guns and never saw that problem but as I said above----I like to stay with brass base hulls like the AAs---Rem sts and Gold Medals----George

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy them all. Corner the market. You can be the primer czar. HMB

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

19. mobear

mobear Member

Check your powder manufacturer's web site for the load data using federal primers with your powder choice. Don't just guess that 1/2 grain change is good.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gary W. has the correct formula guys. Follow the reloading guides to help prevent the no-nos.

Sometimes with shot shell loads, just changing to the Federal 209A primer will reduce chamber pressure when all else remains the same!!(Direct from Ben A. @ Alliant powders!)

Powder and some wad companies have tested their listed loads with the proper equipment, your shot gun isn't the best tool for testing home made reloads. ALWAYS use an accurate scale to weigh powders and shot loads to be sure instead of relying on others advice.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
209a primer

fed 209a vs win 209

fed 209a vs win w209
federal 209 primers vs win 209 primers

federal 209 vs 209a primers

federal 209 vs federal 209a
federal 209a vs winchester 209
federal primer 209a vs winchester primer 209