1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Primers & Rem Handicap Gold cases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have never experienced this before. Either my new batch of federals is oversized or the shells are under sized. They press in very hard and in most cases they dish the bras shell head so bad they cannot be used.???

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

One in a hundred or five hundred, maybe, but the rest I make are trouble free.

Neil

3. cubancigar2000

It must be the hulls because I can use a win, Active or fed and it does not happen. I just loaded 100 Active hulls with the same primers with perfect results

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Cuban',

I've had primers (Winchester and Cheddites)push hard into once fired Remingtons, but nothing like you're describing. I'll bet your loader was protesting a little bit.

ss

5. cubancigar2000

SS, what do you mean by protesting and also why does it work perfectly with other hulls. ( These gold Rems were once fired)

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

FWIW, I just loaded a fresh batch of green STS (once fired) with Fiocchi 616's and had to set my primer seating tube a little lower to guarantee fully seated primers. Measuring the removed primers indicated a couple of thousandths undersized...around 0.241"-0.242". I hate to use that much pressure to seat them but it looks like other standard sized primers would have been tight as well. I don't normally use Rem 209's but shouldn't they be about 0.243"?

Larry

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Cuban',

What I meant by protesting is, It would have taken a little extra arm pressure to seat primers like that on my presses (266's and 366's). I don't know how a hydraulic set-up, if that's what you are using, would react to this kind of situation as I've never reloaded with one. I meant nothing derogatory by it.

I have loaded some euro primers into Remington hulls that were on their last legs and they pushed in firmly even though I'm quite sure the primer pocket was a little oversized by that time.

I'd love to mic and compare the primer pockets of those hulls to see how undersized they were/are.

ss

8. cubancigar2000

I have never experienced this before. Either my new batch of federals is oversized or the shells are under sized. They press in very hard and in most cases they dish the bras shell head so bad they cannot be used.???

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

One in a hundred or five hundred, maybe, but the rest I make are trouble free.

Neil

10. cubancigar2000

It must be the hulls because I can use a win, Active or fed and it does not happen. I just loaded 100 Active hulls with the same primers with perfect results

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Cuban',

I've had primers (Winchester and Cheddites)push hard into once fired Remingtons, but nothing like you're describing. I'll bet your loader was protesting a little bit.

ss

12. cubancigar2000

SS, what do you mean by protesting and also why does it work perfectly with other hulls. ( These gold Rems were once fired)

13. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

FWIW, I just loaded a fresh batch of green STS (once fired) with Fiocchi 616's and had to set my primer seating tube a little lower to guarantee fully seated primers. Measuring the removed primers indicated a couple of thousandths undersized...around 0.241"-0.242". I hate to use that much pressure to seat them but it looks like other standard sized primers would have been tight as well. I don't normally use Rem 209's but shouldn't they be about 0.243"?

Larry

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Cuban',

What I meant by protesting is, It would have taken a little extra arm pressure to seat primers like that on my presses (266's and 366's). I don't know how a hydraulic set-up, if that's what you are using, would react to this kind of situation as I've never reloaded with one. I meant nothing derogatory by it.

I have loaded some euro primers into Remington hulls that were on their last legs and they pushed in firmly even though I'm quite sure the primer pocket was a little oversized by that time.

I'd love to mic and compare the primer pockets of those hulls to see how undersized they were/are.

ss

15. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Compare a fired Rem 209P primer with the Fed 209A. They are shorter and have a greater radius on top. If you look at the deprimed case you will often see that there is plastic that comes over the top radius of the primer. This plastic is the cause of your problem.

Using a #1 Drill bit or 7/32" bit to remove the plastic will solve your problem.

Jason

16. cubancigar2000

SS& all, Jason has the correct answer - a neighbor and trap shooting friend of mine called me to say the same thing before Jason posted. It is really strange to me that I never had that happen in 8 years of loading with my PW. It is not hydraulic by the way. Thx to all of you who offered help, thats why I love TS

17. locdoc

locdoc Member

My observation.

The last Rem primers that I mic'd measured .238". That is .003 - .005 inches smaller than all the others. Add that to the fact that Rems are shorter and have a more radiused top and it makes sense that all other primers may enlarge the Rem hull's primer pocket.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Thanks Jason and Cuban'. That's some good info to store for later happenings.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.