1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Primers on Sale-will 209A's effect recip

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slick50, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slick50

slick50 Member

Federal Primers on Sale-will 209A

Found some Federal 209A primers on sale. I currently use winchester 209's in a winchester AA hull with red dot. Will the 209A's have any effect on the load??
    Thanks Bill

2. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

Yes, the 209a is a hotter primer. You should check load data or email Ben at alliant powder to see his thoughts.

Scott

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Hottest primer out there. It will add some more pressure. How much hotter than the WW, you would have to compare some of the loading data between the two. You may have to cut back on the powder some. Red Dot is also a fast burning powder. Pressures would get high, pretty quick.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Check in Alliant's online data base.

Chances are you will be able to find the Federal primer used with the same hull, wad, shot weight and powder you use with the WW primers. Then you can make any necessary adjustment(s) to compensate. Don't guess!

Here's an example from Alliant's data base for AA hulls:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

A WW primer in a AA hull using 17 gr. of Red Dot under a Winchester wad to push 1 1/8 oz. of weight at 1145 fps generates 10,000 psi... a good pressure.

A Fed primer in the same hull with the same powder drop pushing the same weight to the same speed generates 10,600 psi... also safe and very acceptable; no change at all would be needed to switch primers in this particular formula.

You will have to check the data YOU use to see what adjustments will be needed, if any.

Keller

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Good post, Keller. Since the Remington debacle, many of us are switching to Federal, especially since the anxiety over fitment in Remington hulls turned out to be a non-issue.

best...mike

6. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Bandit, can you or someone provide some links to any info about the Remington debacle? Suggest a Google search?

Charlie

7. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Hey then I'm ok going from Fed to Win primers. I should be safe leaving the same amount of powder (16.5gr Red Dot).

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

What I'm referring to, Charlie, is that many dealers refuse to, or can't stock Remington primers because of the outrageous price increase. It was $280/5,000 the last I checked while CCI/Federal, and Winchester were ~ $115/5,000. Whatever the reason, I'm done with Remington primers, and going to Federal, never mind, I'm told, the Remington's were the cause of my cold weather bloopers with Green Dot and American Select which has even less cold weather tolerance.

best...mike

9. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Ok, thanks. It sounded like there was a defect or other issue.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.