1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

federal papers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bulgie, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Have seen posts here about using AA wads in federal paper hulls. I never did seem to get a good seal using the tapered type wad in the straight wall case unless I upped the powder a tad What were your results? Robert

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

By all means, use appropriate wads, straight wall to straight wall in the papers....Bob Dodd

3. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

The windjammer (Original) wads work well because the shot cup base measures .718 even though the base is .708. They provide very good seals in straight wall hulls. Richard

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the wad fits use it. HMB

5. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

Versalite wads are readily available and designed for "papers"

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Been using AA wads in papers for years for my 1 oz loads and have had 0 problems. I use the recipe in the loading manual for clays and for solo 1000. By far the softest shooting 1 oz load I have experienced.

7. Dave90T

Dave90T TS Member

There are PUBLISHED loads for Winchester wads in Federal hulls. Hodgdon, for one, publishes several for 1 1/8oz, 1oz, and I believe even 7/8oz.

I did try some of the published recipies using Clays powder and a Federal PLASTIC Gold Medal hull in both 1 1/8oz and 1oz applications. I found that sticking to the published mid-range charge of Clays ( little over 2 3/4 DR EQ ) gave consistent and favorable results. Yes, the powder charges are higher for these, than with the AA wad in AA or STS shells. The recoil is very, very, soft and the 1oz with 8's smashed targets from the 16 all the way back when I did my part.

I'm not sure about the paper's, but for sure, there are recipies for AA's in Fed Plastic.

By all means stick to published data. Chances are you'll always find something that you're looking for published.

8. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

I put Blue Dusters in thousands of them. They worked great. cls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.