1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Papers - Load needed using Win 209's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2@low8, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2@low8

2@low8 Member

Federal Papers - Load needed using Win 209

I am searching for a new load for Federal Papers using a Win 209 primer. I have looked at both the Alliant's site and Hogdon's site and 95% of all the loadings are calling for Federal or CCI primers. I would like to load a 1oz shell, don't know what wad I would use, but I am definately up for suggestions. I would like to use either Red Dot or American Select because I have plenty of these two poweders laying around but if there is a better powder to use in these shells I would be very interested in it.

Thanks in advance,
    Ian

2. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The best,lightest shooting 1 oz load is 20 PB,S-3 wad,Fed 209 or 209A primer. You can sub a CCI 209M(Magnum.) I used to get thousands of these once fired back in the mid 80's for 1 cent ea. You almost have to use a Fed primer because of the large case volume. Always use a Fed S-3 to get the best crimp for 1 oz & a S-4 for 1 1/8 oz load. I only worked with PB here so cannot recommend any other powder. Have heard Red Dot works very well. Try reducing charge by a grain to 1 & 1/2 grains from what the book calls for.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There are 2 formulas in Lyman 5 on page 130 for 1 oz loads in Federal papers with fold crimps:

<UL><LI>20 grn Red Dot powder<li>WAA12SL wad<LI>Win 209 primer<LI>vel=1271 fps, pressure=8400 psi</ul>

and...

<UL><LI>22 grn WST powder<LI>WAA12SL wad<LI>Win 209 primer<LI> vel=1258 fps, pressure=7500 psi</UL>

There's also one formula using a Remington primer and several using Federal primers. There are 6 formulas for 1 1/8 oz loads using Win 209 primers.

MK

4. 2@low8

2@low8 Member

I have seen the red dot load in the lyman book, and I have tried it before, wasn't a bad load. I am just trying to see if there is any other loadings out there that you guys have tried before using the wins. If I need to I can get federal primers but not many places around here carry them. I was thinking about using the DRS3 wad from downrange. I have had great luck with downrange wads in my 3/4 oz loads for AA's and STS's. Why is the federal primer used more than the rest for these shells.

Thanks,
    Ian

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Ian, If yop ever use 1 1/8 loads 19 grains of American selct with the CB "Red 8" we call it. It is what they call for as a replacemnt wad for the 12c1. This is a wicked handicap load. As far as an ounce goes, You can see from the data that they require heavy charges with 1 ounce. Still.. I load 18 grains with a 12so and a winchester 209. soft and hammers targets. Jeff

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

This is what I do, but you do what you want. I just use the WW-209 instead of the Federal. I may loose a fps, but not many. And so what? Those are all low pressure loads and the WW-209 is considered a milder primer than the Fed-209A.

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

1 3/8 copper 6's,32 grains of 4756, red AA wad, Win 209 primer. Good Annie load in a paper Federal hull.

8. Unknown1

<blockquote>"...Why is the federal primer used more than the rest for these shells..."</blockquote>Well, for one thing, it's a Federal hull. For the other, as RunGun said, it's a big cave of an interior that needs a good kick to get all the powder lit quickly and consistently.

You'll lose more than just a few fps by sticking a "cooler" primer in data that wants a Federal: you'll get inconsistent burns and unpredictable velocities. That's why PUBLISHED AND TESTED data for Win primers is scarce. There are probably a few more experimental and I-mixed-up-this-load-and-didn't-blow-my-face-off formulas that have yet to be posted. They'll probably be safe; they just won't perform consistently.

MK

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I don't think Red Dot powder will get upset if you use a Win primer instead of a Fed primer. HMB

10. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

700X is a great powder with these componets

11. Unknown1

<blockquote>"I don't think Red Dot powder will get upset if you use a Win primer instead of a Fed primer."</blockquote>Well, I think that's a safe bet... the Lyman 5 data above pairs Red Dot with a Win primer!

MK

12. 2@low8

2@low8 Member

Thanks guys for your input. I am going to try a couple of different loads with both red dot and select that some of you have mentioned and see how the run. Once again thanks for the replies.

Ian

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've probably reloaded 10-20,000 Federal papers and I have used every primer availaable save Nobel Sport and the larger diameter Italian ones.

The kind of primer really is insignificant.

WW

14. 2@low8

2@low8 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal paper 19 grains of 700x