1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Paper / TGT Wad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pb, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pb

pb TS Member

Hey I see data in the Hodgdon manual for a one oz load with the Rem TGT wad in a Federal Paper shell. Have any of you used this load? Is the TGT wad a good idea? (they are great in the STS/Gun Club)

Thanks!

Jon

2. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

Jon:

With respect to overall fit/gas seal, the Federal 12SO wad may be a better choice. With either of those wads in a Federal paper case, you'll have better crimps when using a powder like Clays, Red Dot, etc. which will require a bit more volume.

Cliff

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

The TGT does not work well in a Federal case, as it is made for tapered hulls - as you referenced the STS.

The seal is compromised, and you will experience weak shells and decreased velocity.

I would also recommend a Federal 12S3 or 12S0, depending upon the payload you desire. At the very least, try one of the Claybuster or Downrange clones to the Federal wad.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The 12C1 is good, if you can find any. After my supply is used up, it's back to the 12S3/12S0, which aren't all that bad either.

5. Somebody

Somebody TS Member

I have been using one of the Federal paper 1 oz. loads from the Hodgdon manual with Clays and the TGT12 wad. It has been working fine for me, though, I will say that people do not feel the TGT12 wad is appropriate in Federal hulls due to the tapered vs. straight wall hull issue. I have just been using one of the recipes as listed exactly in the manual, and have not chronographed the load, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.