1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

federal paper powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PatMan, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatMan

PatMan Member

Fereral handicap paper loads contain 22 grains of powder. Does anyone
    know what kind of powder it is?

2. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Federal is owned by ATK .ATK also owns Alliant.

My guess is Alliant makes an OEM powder for Federal that is not available to non-OEM customers.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

One of the guys up at Federal in Anoka (Randy Johnson, I believe is his name) emailed me once what it was, and if I remember correctly he said that Tite Group (could be Titewad) was damn close to it.

The Federal Rep who lives here, and a past student of mine when I was teaching at the high school may know. Will try to email him, but he's terrible about answering emails.

WW

4. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

The ones that I cut open some years ago were red dot.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Used to be Red Dot!!

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

At 22 grains it's probably a proprietary blend similar to Green Dot.

Wayne

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think I'd stick with Red Dot....

8. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

The new Federal Handicap papers, 1 1/8 & #7 1/2 shot, that I cut open had 22.0 grains in them and the powder looked alot like Unique.

I checked Alliant's listing and they list 22.0 grains of Unique for 1 1/8 shot. I loaded up some once fired Fed papers with 22.0 grains and they broke the handicap targets at 27 yards about the same as the factory shells.

BTW:22.0 grains of Unique does not have high pressure.

Michael Stephenson

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My friend, a very good shooter, used to buy PB, 3 kegs at a time, making sure they were the same lot number.

He would then take a box of factory shells, reloads in the right range (from experience) and a chronograph to the range. When he had the shells within 10-15 FPS of the factory loads He ws done experimenting till the next batch of posder.

I watched him go 375 straight to win once with those reloads. A 200 and 175 in the shootoff.

HM

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The one I cut open was also 22gn, with what looked like Red Dot, although, I always heard it was blended for factory loading.

Regards....Gerald

11. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Unless my nose has failed me .. the new ones have a different powder from the old ones.. they just don't smell the same.

If your looking for a reload.. I use Solo 1000 / 21 gr. Fed. primer with a 12C1 wad.. top it off with 1 1/8 of your favorite shot. (I have loaded both 7.5 and 8's.. and unless there is a good wind I see no difference in the breaks)

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

22 grains of Red Dot? Let us know where you'll be shooting.

13. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I have a neighbor who works in the technology department at Federal Cartridge. Since the plant is right in the neighborhood, he took me on a private tour about a year ago. When we got around to talking about Federal Gold Medal Paper (that's the shell I use for scoring), he explained they use a blended mixture of powder developed just for the Gold Medal line. I asked what the blend was and he grinned and told me in nice terms that he could not reveal the blend, and that it would be difficult for a home reloaded to reproduce. In other words, I learned squat...

I also asked about their shot, and he said it's a very hard lead just developed for the Gold Medal line. The standard shotshells use the same magnum shot that we buy. Again, Federal, like Winchester and Remington, use the best components in their top line of shotshells. We can purchase the hulls, wads, and primers they use for their top lines, but we can't get the blended powder or the harder shot which makes the product what it is today...

If you have patterned the different grade of shells Federal produces, plus your own reloads, you'll certainly see the better and more consistent patterns with the Gold Medal product. It's not hype, the Gold Medal shotshells are superior to the other grades. So when the scores really, truly count, use the premier line of shotshells by the major producers...cya

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I apologize for my stupidity in stating that the Federal powder was similar to Titegroup. That was the Nitro 27 shell as I was told.

I have no clue what Federal uses, but according to the above posts, it must be something in the Red Dot ballpark.

WW

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Green Dot and PB are good powders for Fed. Papers.

16. chikeneyes

chikeneyes TS Member

Federal 3dram load was federal 209 primer 12C1 wd 1 1/8 7 1/2 shot and yes Red Dot nothing special just RD 19.2 gr This info has been published by fed many times but thats I have been and still do today 30yrs later

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best powder for federal papers

solo 1000 federal paper