1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Paper Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rtchman, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtchman

rtchman TS Member

How difficult is it to reload Federal Paper hulls on a PW800. I have just came into a bunch of them. Thanks.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Lucky dog ... Make sure you get a cone style crimp starter. Make sure you use the correct wad. I use the the CB3118-12AR from Claybuster (see link above). For all your PW needs contact Whiz White .... whiz@swsupply.com ... Bill Malcolm

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

That's something very lucky that you came into! Maybe there really is a Santa Claus, at least for you! Never had a problem w/ my PW when I loaded papers.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It is important to be sure the inside of the shell holders are smooth and free of rust. Any rust/build-up on the shell holders will scuff the paper hull and increase the operating force.

I prefer to size the case heads with a MEC collet sizer. This is very important if the hulls come from unknown guns. You can use the dedicated MEC sizer but I prefer to run the hulls through the sizer on my MEC Sizemaster because it also deprimes them and this makes the reloader run a little smoother.

Jim Skeel

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have to say that reloading papers on the P/W has to be the easiest and smoothest reloading experience you can imagine.

I have done thousands on the P/W 800 Plus and in fact it is my favorite reload.

Make sure you use the proper wad (larger diameter 0.718" diameter powder cup).

I only reload them once, so I don't even bother with the smooth crimp head. The crimps are all closed and flat, but without the smooth crimp head, the folds are not always in the factory location. They shoot great.

I've been lucky in having some of the original 2-piece Federal wads, but the appropriate Claybuster works fine.

BILL MALCOLM: HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you, your family, and your brother!!!!

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I've never seen the 2 piece Federal wad.

Thanks Whiz. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours. I will say hello to Brother Steve for you. Bill Malcolm

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Federal paper hulls are nice to shoot and reload, but they have one major problem. They are so nice it is difficult to toss them on the ground after a couple of reloadings. We think we can get one more out of them and we ignore the small pin holes that appear just above the brass. Then, in the crimping die, bad things happen. Trust me, I and others know about this.

If the Federal paper hulls were not so good, we could easily toss them out when we should. The problem is that Federal made them too good.

hill topper- Federal paper hulls in the oven for 3 minutes as you described was very important when we loaded them with cardboard and felt wads.

Pat Ireland

PS- Federal paper hulls loaded with Red Dot and shot in a M-12 bring back fond memories.

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Have fond memories of picking up the Remington paper Express empties and the red Super W and Super X empties in the duck blind back in the 50's and smelling the fresh burned powder and melted parafin. Maybe not as good as the Feds, but a close 2nd!

9. rtchman

rtchman TS Member

Whiz,

Can you recommend a Claybuster Wad for a 7/8 oz. load in this hull? Making up an International load using Promo and Fiochio primers. Thanks. Bob

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pat is showing his age again. He'll probably remember our standard load consisting of an H-wad with 2-3/8" filler wads on top of 23 grs. Red Dot.

I've always enjoyed using the Federal 12 S-4 wad for my paper loading. Those brown wads with an 1 1/8 oz. filled those cases real nice!!

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I too loaded lots of Fed. papers on a 800B, mainly 1oz. I had lots of red based wads so i would put a 20 ga. card filler in the cup. With the new shortened dies and cone crimper they loaded beautiful.

I found with an 800 that if you kept it clean and lubed it worked well. Mine never fed Federal primers well so I switched to CCI. No more feeding problems.

Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.