1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Paper Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-EIGHTY, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

What is the attraction/advantage to Federal paper hulls?

Thanks

2. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

They seem to shoot softer for the same velocity (defy physics??). They also smell great. I would reload them one time for second shot in doubles back in the days we could just chuck the empties on the ground!

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ahh, the smell of Red Dot in a paper hull.....

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is much easier to shoot a hundred straight with Federal paper hulls. HMB

5. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

6. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Federal papers have a very loyal following, probably for the reasons stated above. Back in the 1970's, a Federal paper 3 dram 7 1/2 was used by a lot of games shooters around Louisville, KY.

I have also heard that serious still board shooters prefer the 2 3/4 dram 9. I once bought a pick-up truck bed full of once fired 2 3/4 dram 9's around 1980. The man I bought them from said that they came from a still board shoot in Southern Indiana.

There are a lot of published heavy loads for the Federal paper hull and to this day it remains popular with "games" shooters for their back fence loads as the paper hull has considerable room in it for heavy loads of shot.

I reload mostly Federal Gold Medal plastic hulls now but I still love the paper hull. If they were priced the same as other premium shells, they would sell a lot more.

To me, they do seem to shoot a little softer than a plastic hull. The belief among some shooters is that paper compresses upon firing whereas plastic does not resulting in softer recoil.

Ed Ward

8. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

Many game shooters use them and they are great for sniffing. Be careful though, smoking Federal papers may cause lung cancer......

9. KolarAAA

KolarAAA TS Member

Federal Papers are amazing and light up targets, especially with the 2 piece wad that Federal does not make anymore:( And yes they smell amazing as well!!!!

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.