1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Paper hulls- Really reduced felt recoil?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Got myself a batch of federal paper hulls to play with this winter. Currently shooting 1oz shells, and would REALLY like to move back into 1 1/8oz. Was looking at the pressures of 1145fps shells using fed paper, and sts hulls, and found they REALLY weren't all that different (in most cases, a couple hundred psi or less diff b/w the 2). Should I continue my experimenting (still need to buy wads to load the paper hulls), or just stick w/ sts hulls for my handloads? My experience w/ federal papers is VERY limited, i just thought i'd try them out and see what I could find, but if there isn't going to be any noticeable difference, I may just stick w/ sts hulls, or keep on trucking w/ 1oz...

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

skeet man, why not load the papers to match what your now shooting and tell us what you find? Only you could make that call. Hap

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

They are great, perhaps the best, shells. But, they don't reduce recoil.

Pat Ireland

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shooting a box or two of factory Federal papers is a real treat, they are just plain cool and they smell great. A lot of folks claim low recoil and that may be possible but it would be difficult to prove the physics of that. I think the 'coolness' factor tends to extend beyond reality just a bit.

But for a reloading hull the Federal papers really don't offer much. Case life is minimal and getting good crimps can be problematic. There is no reason that you can't make a good soft shooting 1 1/8 Oz shell with the STS hull, there is a lot of loading data out there for doing just that.

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Skeet man, you could try a slower burning powder like PB or 7625 if you haven't already. They may help reduce your felt recoil. You could also lessen your wad pressure, putting just enough on to keep the shell from sounding funny.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with the experiments, John E.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Federal papers with green dot and 1 1/8 of shot. Less felt recoil, perfect crimps and they smell great. Some of the people above do not have a clue. HMB

7. jburger

jburger TS Member

Stay with your 1oz. load they are all I use for singles and handicap. The down side to the papers are you can't load them as many times as a plastic shell. so are they really worth it?? IMO no.

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

If they kick less, it's because they're generating less pressure and velocity. 12C1, Fed paper, Fed 209A, 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2, and a bunch of Green Dot sure does break handicap targets well though.

~Michael

9. ink ball

ink ball Member

I just shot a couple boxes of a friends 1 1/8 reloads for 25 pairs of doubles. He is using 18.7 grains of International Clays powder, and based on the other components he said he was using, I'm guesstimating (based on data from Hodgdon's web site) that this load is about 1180 fps. Tell you what...I was impressed how soft the recoil felt. I'm used to shooting 1 oz loads at 1200 fps, and it didn't have any more felt recoil than my 1 oz loads. In fact...in some aspects, it felt like it had less. My 1 oz loads seem to have a quick punch, while these 1 1/8 oz loads felt more like a shove. I'm seriously considering loading up some and seeing how they pattern. Might be just the ticket for Handicaps.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Now I don't know anything but I'm going to post this anyway. Look up aload that has 19.5 Green Dot and uses a WAA12 wad. They'll tell you the wad won't work and your get erratic igniton. But humble me and load a 100 and see what you think.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LOL@Martin, betcha ifn he do he likie a lotta? Hap

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Load some 1 oz in your paper hulls w/ Clays or Solo 1000. Both are real soft. As far as crimping that sounds like a reloader problem. I reload papers exclusively for 1 oz and have no crimp problems until I get to the pt where they shouldn't be loaded anymore. 4 reloads is my max and if the hull is looking tired I toss them after 3.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

About ten years ago Federal produced a limited run of premium field loads that had 1 1/4 Oz of copper plated #6-#4 loaded in the gold medal paper hull. Now those shells did seem to have magical qualities. I still have a flat plus a few boxes of the #5s and use a few each year on special hunts. If these shells really were a great as my mind believes them to be they would be the only round in production today.

Then there is reality.

Life is short so enjoy it to the best of your abilities. If loading paper shells adds to your enjoyment of our sport then have at it and enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

paper hull skeet loads for sale

solo 1000 federal paper