1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal paper gold medal reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lilboss1970, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

How many times can you reload these hulls and what wad seems to work the best with green dot and Fed. primers? I am thinking of reloading them a time or two then using them as my pheasant loads so they will decompose if happen to lose one in the field. Thanks for any help.

2. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

For a 1 1/8 oz load use the federal wad as recommended in the manuals. As far as how many times. I would probably load them until I saw a small burned hole in the paper adjacent to the brass.
    When are we going pheasant hunting?
    CA

3. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Try to avoid using wads that have the rolled base designed for tapered hulls. Stick with wads that are designed for straight sided hulls. I can usually load a new paper hull twice before it starts to pin-hole (small holes begin to form in the hull just above the brass). Then I load one of my long distant shoot off shells in them. hope I could help. BYG

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

My favorite load was; 1-1/8 oz of 8s, 18.2 gr of 452AA, AA wad, AA 209 primer. Very soft shooter. Broke my first 200x200 with this load. Load them 2 or 3 times, then toss them. Larry Evans

5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

21 grs green dot,12C1 wad or substitute,F209A primer.Load twice and toss

6. jimsw

jimsw Member

Two times is the max. In addition to holes burning through at the base the paper will spall off which results in gas jetting by and melting the base of the wad. I've picked up 12c1 wads where this happened. The jetting occurs along the edge of the glue joint where the paper remains intact. I only load them once to avoid this.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

After 2 loads strip out the basewad and burn it like incense. It is the perfect ZEN in preparation for a day of Trapshooting.

--- Chip King ---

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Once!

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
federal gold medal paper reloading

federal paper reloading data

reloading data federal gold medal paper
what wad is used in the new federal gold medal paper trap load