1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Paper Brass Rupture

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

In the past week, I have had four Federal Paper hulls rupture at the base and release hot gas out of the ejection port of my Rem 870. The shooter standing next to me was not impressed. The 4 ruptures were out of about 200 rounds.

The rounds that ruptured were once fired hulls loaded with 18.5 grains of 700X, Claybuster Red 12C1 replacement wad and 1 1/8 oz of 7 ½ shot. I have used this load for many years (with the 12C1 wad) with no problem.

I load with a MEC Grabber and weigh the power and shot charge before I begin reloading. I cut open a few shells from the case (500 rounds) from which this group of reloads came from and the weights of the powder and shot were within .2 grains on the powder and 5 grains on the shot.

Could powder from one load hang up in the drop tube and overcharge the next shell? My loader is mounted on a wooden workbench and is not grounded. I also sometimes load during hot and humid conditions since I reload in the garage.

Has anyone noticed any weakness in the brass of the newer Federal Paper hulls?

2. mod12man

mod12man TS Member

check every hull before you load it when you load fed papers. any signs of pinholes or burned spots where the paper meets the brass, discard the hull. Ive also had reloaded fed papers where before shooting it, some of the powder has gotten up past the wad into the cusion area of the wad. probably did this from vibration while transporting them or something. these make one hell of a boom and flame. they are easy to spot before you shoot them though because you can push in the crimp with your finger pretty easily as the wad will slip down the hull further. Ive made it a habit to push on each before I shoot it after a few of those flameouts

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

P3AT, Could you please explain to us how the shot would flush any powder stuck in the tube of school-teachers MEC Grabber press.

George

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

School Teacher:
    I have had this happen numerous times with Older Federal once fired papers. I believe the brass gets brittle and in the sizing process will crack either in the side of the brass or around the base of the brass. Its not dangerous but in some cases they don't eject very well. Richard

5. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have had the same thing happen in both 870 and 1100 but never in a break open gun with the Federal paper shell. Don't know why but it will happen.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Could your hulls have gotten wet? I've noticed a distinct "swelling" in the base wad in some that had been wet and I usually toss them when I see that. Same goes for the paper base wad Estates and Top Guns.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've seen lot's of those with Federal paper reloads, but don't recall ever seeing it with once-fired hulls.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have a bunch of old federal International trap loads that the brass cracks on each and every one on the factory firing. I have seen the brass split on many times in diffrent batches of cases. Sometimes it's a head spacing issue when you are shooting first fired papers that were shot in other peoples guns. I bought a couple of thousand once that had been shot in a worn out 1100 and they were far more prone to split on the first reload. Sometimes quality control is at fault I suspect. Although with papers I have never tried to measure the brass I have seen huge diffrences with factory Remington cases. Jeff

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have used these cases for a varity of loadings including a hunting load which involved blue dot and 1 3/8 ozs of shot. In all my years of reloading this case, never have I had a brass rupture problem..

Even though you say that only four in two hundred cases done this, I wonder about the chamber of that 870. Also static cling could be a problem where as someone sugggested a possible over charge in some cases. In my reloading area and climate, I have not had consistent drops when using 700X ( Iam sure that Iam the only one however) but there's always the chance the same is happening for you.

Finally, how old were the cases and where have they been stored?

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I shot another 50 Federal Paper reloads today in practice plus another 75 Federal Gold Medal (ribbed) plastic 1 oz. reloads. The Paper reloads were practice shells that had been reloaded 3 times and will not be reloaded. No brass split in any hull.

The once fired Paper hulls came from a friend who had shot them in his Kolar. Maybe the powerful resizer in the MEC Grabber caused them to split. Maybe it was just a lot of weak brass.

I do think that the brass in a Federal plastic shell is much stronger than the Paper shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.