1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal jury duty?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Bisi, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Just opened up a letter asking me to fill out a questionaire to see if I could possibly qualify to be selected for jury duty in Federal court in the state of Indiana.

How wonderful.

I've been on 3 local juries. HTH does my name always come up when my brother, brother in law, sister, Mother have never been called?

Well anyway, my political views are mostly Libertarian, and I'm sitting here trying to figure out under what instance I would convict somebody in Federal court?

I believe the Federal government should have minimial impact on our lifes. I believe they should have limited jurisdication. I believe that FBI should be limited to being an info clearing house and not have arrest powers.

Hell I would have had a hard time convicting Tim McVeigh in Federal court. He should have been found guilty and hanged in OK. Where was the federal authority on that?

John Gotti was convicted in Fed court and I don't see where they had the authority to do that. RICO statue is unconstitional in my mind.

Convict somebody for drugs in federal court? They should be legal anyway.

Murder - state charge.

Theft, robbery - state charge

Civil rights??? I could see maybe convicting the state of IL for violating the rights of gun owners, but this is Indiana.

Just wondering what kind of case I might believe the Feds should be involved in here in Indiana.

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Could it be someone making unfriendly letters to the resident at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. ? :)

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    By any chance are you sympathetic towards or are a member of FIJA?

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Don't know what the FIJA is Brian, guess I'll have to google it.

Steve W, good point, but with the current resident??

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Just tell them the same thing you posted here. Pretty good chance you'll be dismissed.

Eric

6. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

Had it about ten years ago, lasted three weeks was no dought about if they were guilty or not.Pays more than local court ,think it was 65.00 a day.The day we reported the guy in charge told us we will serve,I was sorta of luck as we were called went the first day. Others that were rejected had to go back in the pool until they were picked.

7. Procrastinator

Procrastinator TS Member

If the litigators do their work correctly (which they hopefully should) you'll be dismissed. The very fact that you've posted the information on here is enough for dismissal, not to mention you have some far right ideals.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

When asked by the attorney's how you feel about the jury process, advise them that you're happy as hell to be there, let's bring the guilty son of a bitch in here, give 'em a fair trial and then let's take 'em out back and hang 'em!!

That statement always gets me a pass...Haha!!

Curt

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

biguun, what kind of case was it?

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Bisi - Write those comments on the questionnaire if there is a place for them and you'll probably be excused. If not, the judge will probably ask the potential jurors if they have any feelings that would impair their ability to render an impartial finding of guilt or innocence. Tell those things you wrote to the judge and he'll excuse you.

11. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

Bisi It was drugs and it started in ca and went all the way to Iowa . One funny part was a guy was gonna be a witness for the defence and he got in the chair and the prosecuter ask his name ss and then he says to the jury after I cross this guy I promise you that this guy will be here next, took the wind out of his sails.
    Another time I was setting in the front row about three chairs away from the witness chair fiddling with my pen and the end came off and flew in the air and hit a cop that was being crossed and hit him right in the chest, he didn't even flinch.bigunn

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

One thing for sure, you will never get a trial by your peers.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

This should make Bisi happy -

John Brown was tried and hanged by the state of Virginia.

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Some guy tried the "if the cops arrested the guy he's guilty routine" at one of the jury selections I was at and the Judge told him that he was confidante that this guy was mature enough to use common sense in a ruling if needed be. He was also told that he (the judge) hoped he would never have to hear negative statements from this guy again. And believe me, the judge was not smiling when he said that!!

The way I look at it is if you don't want to serve you shouldn't have to. Just double your taxes to help pay for someone else to do your civic duty or leave the country, your choice.

15. TC

TC TS Member

One of the most important things you will ever do in your life is to serve on a jury. Don't take this responsibility lightly!

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bisi, FIJA is the Fully Informed Jury Association. Their core belief is that juries can nullify the law. This goes back to why our Founding Fathers wanted a jury of your peers, ordinary people from your community. They would not only be an alternative to a panel of judges or a jury selected by royalty, but they would also sit in judgment of the law itself, nullifying it if they felt the law was unjust.

Judges today hate that. They specifically tell juries they cannot judge the law. Only decide if the accused broke the law, regardless if the law is good or bad.

FIJA challenges that, and if a judge finds out you[re a member of FIJA... out the door. In fact, some judges have threatened arrest and in some cases actually have had arrested FIJA members passing out FIJA literature on the courthouse steps.

Most of our laws are just. But some are not. And I will not convict someone breaking an unjust law. And I'll ignore the judges demands to do otherwise, because I believe the judge is acting unconstitutionally.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What do you think about the Supreme Court ordering California to release 36,000 felons from jail to ease the over crowding. Do you think this will help the housing market recover? HMB

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

No, but it might help the door and window industry by having to replace doors and windows from a rise in breaking and entering cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.