1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Hulls?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BP348, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I was wondering if you can reload federal hulls? If so what does everyone think of them?

I know a guy who may be able to get me a bunch from a police academy but I wasn't sure if you can reload them.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

If they are Top Gun you'll need a different wad than you use on AA or Remington hulls.
    Claybuster makes a couple of different wads that work in Top Gun hulls, CB2100-12, CB2118-12. They reload into nice shells.

3. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I'll have to check and see which hull they're using. I'm pretty sure they're using the Gold Medal hulls. I know they're not using the paper hulls.

I know they used to use the Rem STS but I guess they switched.

4. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I'll have to check and see which hull they're using. I'm pretty sure they're using the Gold Medal hulls. I know they're not using the paper hulls.

I know they used to use the Rem STS but I guess they switched.

5. Mark V

Mark V Member

The Fed.Gold Medal are a premium straight walled hull which is fine for reloading multiple times. Straight walled hulls are best reloaded with wads designed for same type hull, ie. Fed wads, very expensive, or the Claybuster substitutes, CB-2118, for 1 1/8oz., or CB-2100, for 1oz. These hulls are rare in my neck of the woods.

What is more common are the cheap Fed. Top Gun hulls which are thrown away by the hundreds at my club each day. These I reload only once and discard. Some say they reload them a few times, but they are so plentiful it's not worth the effort to cart them home.

Hodgdon and Alliant have loads for both hulls.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.