1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Hulls questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack Frost, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Hello-

Anyone know if the cheaper steel base Federal Top Gun hull with paper basewad can be loaded the same as Federal Gold Medal?

The load I would like to use is 36.0 gr Longshot / WAA12 wad / 1-1/8 nickel plated lead shot #6 / Federal 209A. This load is supposed to go in a Gold Medal Hull wich I only have a few so I am wondering if it can safely be loaded in a top gun hull? All the best.

J.F.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yep...load 'em the same as the GM hull.

I've loaded thousands with no problems.

Curt

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If in doubt, call the powder manufacturer. Most moderate loads would work OK, but when yiou get into the heavy Longshot loads, I would want the sanction of the powder manufacturer. If it were me, I'd use the Gold Medals and look for more. I've loaded thousands of the Top Gun/Estate/Wally World specials using data that was once published for these specific hulls. Two popular powder manufacturers have stated that it would be OK to use data for the Gold Medals, but in each occasion, a specific load was mentioned. It's worth a phone call just to be on the safe side.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You are at maximum pressure with that load. Maybe try some with 34.6 grains first and see how they shoot? That will drop your load down to 10,700 psi., 1530 fps. Federal has reloading data for these hull, but only list ATK components.

Wayne

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ive spoken to the people at atf and was told you can loaded them just like the GM hulls.

6. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Are they the ribbed ones?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Actually the top gun hulls will produce a little less peak pressure than Gold Medals due to the cushioning effect of the base wad. The internal volume is the same.

Where you need to be careful is going the other way, ie: a high pressure Top Gun load may not be acceptable in a Gold Medal.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.