1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal hulls problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have started loading Federal gold medal plastic hulls and have noticed that on occasion the hulls fracture when shooting them. The front of the hull leaves the barrel with the wad and shot and the base with about an inch of plastic hull remains in the chamber. these hulls have the smooth exterior finish. Does anyone know what is going on? Is there any difference between the smooth and ribbed Fed hulls?

Thanks for your thoughts.

JMAC

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The smooth ones are the old style. This problem is why they were replaced by the ribbed style. Ron

3. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

You are lucky the hull left the barrel. With me - the hull stuck down inside .... and was difficult to remove. Really bummed me out ... as I picked up 1500 of these hulls.

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Actually Federal has gone back to the rib style hull. I still have a stash of ribbed hull that were made before Federal went smooth. Ever thing seemed to be ok with the switch to the smooth hull until about 1 to 2 years ago. Then people reported that often the factory shell would break and part of the hull would lodge in the barrel. Federal switched back to the ribbed hull.

I have not heard anything about how to tell which, if any of the smooth hulls are ok or bad. I have reloaded a couple of hundred smooth hulls 5-6 times from over 3 years ago with no problems.

Best practice just reload the ribbed hull.

Jason

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have loaded and shot well over 10,000 of the Federal "smoothies" without incident including many that were loaded many, many times. That said, I am glad that Federal brought back the ribbed style hull. Actually, it never left as Federal continued to use the ribbed style hull on hunting loads.

Perhaps, because I only loaded light loads, i.e., 19.3 grains of Green Dot and 1 1/8 oz of shot, I got good service out of my Federal "smoothies". Also, as I have shot thousands of Federal paper hulled shot shells, I got into the habit of ensuring that I was able to remove the entire hull, often in two pieces, from the barrel.

Every time you shoot any load, make sure that you are able to remove the entire hull from the barrel and that the wad has cleared the barrel.

Ed Ward

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I burned 5,000 once fired GM smooth hulls. I had them stick in the barrel and the only way I could get them out was to take the choke tube out, put a dime in a wad and pound like hell to get the stuck hull out.

It would only happen to my 1 1/8th ounce loads. The one ounce loads were OK. I imagine because they were lighter loads.

I'm glad they went back to the ribbed hull as I really liked the Federal shells. But now I have two 55 gallon drums full of Remington once fired that I will shoot up before deciding on going back.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I had many, many problems with hull separation with both the old ribbed and the newer smooth Gold Medal hulls I finally gave up. It didn't matter what load I was using- 7/8oz, 1oz or 1 1/8oz. I couldn't make it through a single event without a hull separation. The hulls separated and lodged in the barrel and were the devil getting out.

I finally gave up and threw all my once-fired GM hulls away in disgust, dismantled what I had loaded and sold my Federal primers and wads. That's too bad because my favorite bunker load used GM hulls, primers and wads.

8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Of the hulls that stuck in the barrel, I have had good luck running a bore snake from muzzle to breech, the hull gets caught on the brass brush portion. The hull can be hard to see. I just assume that it is in there, until I provide closer examination at the bench. No problem tho', with top guns.

9. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I miss the old Federal Champion II. It was a great hull. Mike

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ED, in addition to shooting a light load, chamber size differences can also play a part. The recipe of the plastic is in play, too hard and not pliable enough to stand the natural stretching that occurs on firing?

Winchester changed their AA plastic formula to make their "new and improved?" hull stay together in most chambers, possibly changed the glue holding them together also?

I still have and use old hulls by Winchester and Federal before they made the "?improvements?"

Hap

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Hap, your comments on chamber size ring true. I posed this question to a Federal rep a few years ago at the Grand. He commented that Federal was aware of this issue and that was why they switched back to the ribbed hull.

He commented that the reports of hull separation occurred most frequently in certain high end guns. I use Remington 870's, an 1100 and a 11/87 and the Federal "smoothies" shoot fine and wear like iron in my Remington barrels.

Ed Ward

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks ED! Remington has always had tighter chambers than does model 12s and others.

I first became aware of the differences when I used to load with a MEC 650 without a resizing die. I used a Rem.1100 and a model 12 and had to keep the spent hulls separated for each gun!! Otherwise, the Rem wouldn't digest the loads for the model 12!

Hap

13. lostandout

lostandout Member

the new ones will still burn off with 700x must be hotter powders plays into it also

brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.