1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal hull came apart?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fenoc, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenoc

fenoc Member

Had a smooth sided federal hull shoot off on me last night. The plastic came off at the top of the brass. It was a twice fired hull and was used as a 3 dram reload. It has only been shot out of my K-80. The plastic shot out with the wad but it still hit the bird from the 27 quite hard and the recoil was normal but it sounded weak.

Has anyone else had this happen?

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Yes , that happened to me 2 weeks ago. It was a once fired GM smooth, broke off at the brass and stuck half way down my barrel, I had a hell of a time getting it out.

All of these shells are load once and dump....

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I threw away around 5,000 a couple of years ago for th same reason. I had to take out the choke, put a dime in the wad and beat the hull out of my barrel more than once. Went to remington.

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

There was a lot number a few years back that was notorious for this occurrence. Many factory loaded were reported but I generally experienced the event on second loading. Mostof my tubes seized to the barrel. They can be darn troublesome to get out. I had a specificsized alumnium plug made. It still helped soaking barrel with Rem oil.

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I've had quite a few feds. come apart with the hull going out the barrel. These were 1-1/4 1-3/8 and 1-1/2 oz. games loads.
    Clyde

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have used 1000s and not one came apart yet---Hate to say never---BUT---
    I made a copper ram with the end shaved to a point---If and when it happens I'm ready to remove in less than 5 minutes---A little heat at the end of the rod will remove it quick----They are a great hull---If there are any throw aways,I'll pay the shipping----Thanks----George

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have had the same problem with new Gold Medal, plus the old ribbed hulls and the newer smooth hulls in reloads. I gave up and threw away thousands of hulls, sold all my Federal primers and wads and now reload only STS and GC hulls. That's a shame, because the best ever performing 24g bunker load I had used a GM hull, F209A primer and 12S0 wad.

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

ZZT what else in that load?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.