1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Gun Bill

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BRGII, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I received an email from my dad this morning regarding a bill currently under consideration by the US House of Representatives – HR45 – referred to as the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act of 2009 introduced in the House in early January. I’ve attached a web link directly to the proposed bill so you can readily access it and read it. In short my understanding of some the requirements in the bill is as follows:

Basically the bill would make it illegal to own any handgun or any rifle with a clip unless:

It is registered

You are registered

You supply a current Driver’s license

You supply your Social Security Number

You agree to submit to a physical and mental evaluation at any time the government chooses

You provide an update to the government any time ownership changes through private or public sale at a cost of $25 & failure to do so means you lose the right to own a firearm and are subject to 1 year in jail.

Additionally, there is a child provision clause on page 16, section 305 regarding child access. This requires a gun to be locked and inaccessible to any child under the age of 18. The government would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely and in a manner that is inaccessible to children – if you don’t you are subject to a fine or up to 5 years in prison or both.

This bill, like so many other instances where the federal government has trampled on states rights, indicates the federal government has legitimate regulatory authority over this issue under the constitutional clause giving the federal government the right to regulate interstate commerce.

I encourage you to read the bill for yourself and if you are opposed to this proposed legislation I hope and encourage you to contact your US Representative and US Senators and let them know of your opposition and request they advise you of how they will vote on this bill if it makes it out of committee and comes to a vote full House vote – link is below:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/text

In my opinion this bill represents a very real and legitimate threat to gun rights in this country. Please make others aware of this bill and the need to oppose it as you see fit. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.