1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Gold Metal 28 Gauge Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Todd1, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd1

Todd1 TS Member

Anyone have any experience reloading this style hull. How many reloads can you expect to get and are they a straight walled hull? Thanks,Todd

2. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I just stated loading 28 gauge hulls...the federal and the estates(made by ferderal).
    So far they seem to reload very nice. They need to be resized a little extra as I have had a few of the older federals to be a very tight fit in the barrel.

they don't seem to be as well made as a winchester hs, but so far I have loaded them 4 times with out any problems.

the recipe I have been using is green dot 13.0 grains, remington primer, and a pc wad. I got this load from a allient reloading book (2008) you can use the same load with unique powder 14.0 grains.

hope this helps

jeff

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They are great for buffered hunting loads. They are a straight wall hull and quite large. I only use the federal wad in them. they are good for anywhere from 1 to 4 bangs or so. they tend to split or get the ends shot off. I load them pretty hot as I only use them either for hunting or shooting where i know I will lose my cases. Jeff

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm using them for skeet loads with a Winchester or Nobel primer, about 14.2 grains of Hodgdon Universal Clays powder, a Federal 28S1 wad, and 3/4 ounces of shot.

I've reloaded some of my hulls 3 or 4 times, and so far, no problem.

Jeff is right, though, if you use these hulls, use a Federal wad. The PC wad seems to rattle around in this hull.

5. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I have some of the federal wads.I will have to try them in the federal hulls, they look like a very good wad, little expensive.

I have been using the pc because the price was right and some one gave them to me. the federal wads will they give better performance in the federal hulls.

another question..i have about 2000 fiocchi hulls. the hodgenson reloading book shows recipes with universal powder with pc wads. will these wads fit alright in these hulls, or should I not wast my time buying any pc wads when i run out.

6. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I load the Downrange PC28 wad in all hulls. I have had and heard of others that had a Federal seperate and leave the hull in a tube set. I load them 2-3 times and toss them.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

dolphin

I'd give Kevin Lewis at Downrange a call about your question.

Kevin is a straight shooter and will give you an honest answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.