1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Gold Medal - Remington STS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have been shooting a great deal of both over the past year. To me, I believe the Federals kick me a touch harder than the Rem STS. Anyone else have any comments on this?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Have you chrono'ed them? Maybe the federals are running a touch faster..........?

3. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

It's the S3 wad...

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Matt.. That may be true with new, factory loads, but, I reload both Federal and STS hulls and find that the Federal hull is noticeably softer shooting. I load the STS with 22gr. REX II and a Versalite wad, and 22gr. REX II with a Downrange F3 (12S3) wad in the Federals. Both loads are pushing 11/8oz. #71/2 shot, lite up with a Cheddite primer. Both are excellent loads from the fence... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm a long-time Remington user but I switched to Gold Medal shells for 18 months perhaps five years ago. I thought the same thing - they produce more felt recoil even when loaded to within 15 feet per second of each other, according to my chronograph. I blamed it on the very stiff construction and weight of Federal wads and their clones. Between that and the problems with the smooth plastic hulls, I went back to STS shells when the Federals were ready for replacement.

Ed

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am not talking reloads. Factory shells only.

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Remington shells, both STS & Gun Clubs kick me the hardest. Federal Gold Medal and Top Gun are softer, but louder, and Winchester AA & Super Target are the softest of all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.