1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Gold Medal reloading trouble

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jerryjackson, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryjackson

jerryjackson Member

Been reloading the Gold medals (plastic) for one year using 17 gr.of Clays, Fed 209As and Fed 12S3 wads on a Dillon reloader. I purchased 1000 once fire hulls from a online catalog and have had no trouble until now. Today I had five shells separate from the base at firing with three casings being blowed out and two getting stuck in the barrels. Any ideas why this is happening?

2. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

You've reloaded them too many times and the plastic is fatiqued. You say you've been reloading 1000 hulls for a year, how many times have the hulls been reloaded? I know it's hard to toss 'em when they still look good otherwise, but six or seven times is the max or you are going to have trouble. By the way, the best way to get stuck plastic cases out of the barrel is to get a used wad and push it through the muzzle end with a dowel. Profanity sometimes helps too!

Good Luck,

Jim

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

jj, I stopped using Federal hulls for exactly the same reason. 2 or 3 reloading, max, and that's what I got with the ribbed hulls.

A friend only reloads Federal hulls and says he cannot wear the ribbed hulls out, but only gets 6-7 reloads out of the new, smooth hulls.

All I can say is you cannot prove it by me. I threw boatloads of ribbed Gold Medals out in disgust, for the reasons you describe.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember the board in the Federal Building at Vandalia? They had 20 Gold Medals mounted to it, each one reloaded one more time than the last.

The one with 20 reloads had 8 slots in the end where the crimp was.

Been a long time, Baby.

HM

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I had the same thing happen with hulls I got for free.

Best way to get the case out is with a dime as a "pusher" at the end of a rod. The dime fits the barrel perfectly.

I have started dumping all my Federal hulls after reloading them twice. Even the AA's are better.

At least with the AA's you just peak down the barrel and make sure there is no base wad in the barrel.

Now, what do I do with 10,000 SO3 wads???

Don

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Is there a difference in the early Federal GM "smooth" hulls and current manufacture? I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the current "smooth" hulls are better than the older "smooth" hulls.

I am still using a few thousand of the older "ribbed" hulls and they are great.

I have 4 flats of the newer "smooth" hulls and like the way they look and shoot.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your choke must be more open than mine. I can only get .09 through mine.

Ed Yanchok jaj

8. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have been loading Federal Gold Medal Hulls since 1986 (the ribbed kind).

Some years ago, my records indicate around 1989, I experienced hull separation and as jerryjackson experienced, the piece stuck in the bore. I was loading these hulls 12 to 14 times. (TOO MANY TIMES)

I still use Federal Gold Medal Hulls. However, I ONLY load them 8 times, 7 if they have split ends at the crimp area. Absolutely no more than 8 times no matter how good they look.

I keep my shells in groups of 500 and have them coded so I know how many times they were loaded.

I have not had any problems with the Federal Gold Medal Hulls only loading them 7 to 8 times. I load about 20,000 of these hulls a year; they are a very good hull.

Frank

9. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

in the mid 80's a buddy and myself reloaded g/m ribs only with 700x. he had the same trouble -separate in the middle after about 7-8 times. never happened to me (not once). i believe the reason was that i loaded 16.5 gr. he was loading 18.5+(he now flinches and uses a release, his loads are a lot lighter nowdays also. just my experience. dennis. p.s. just started loading 10z in g/m with 20.5 green dot and 12so wad. nice soft load, we'll watch for separations in this load also.

10. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Good chance they are some of the first run of the smooth side gold metals. The first few runs would allow moisture to get in between the brass and the plastic if they ever got wet. When you fire the reloaded hulls the moisture turns to steam and blows the plastic into the barrel. We had this happen to alot of guys who all had picked the hulls up of the ground. The new ones that I fired then kept that never hit the ground never separated but alot of the hulls I picked up did. They have since changed the brass and plastic assembly proccess and the problems have stopped. I prefer the old ribbed hulls any how and never have had any separation of them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many times can a federal gold medal hull be reloaded

why are my federal gold medal shotshell reloads dishing