1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Gold Medal - Not for Autoloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gary0920, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary0920

gary0920 Member

A guy gave me a box of Gold Metal hulls marked "NOT FOR USE IN SEMI-AUTOS" on each hull and on the box. These are the smooth hulls - 1200 FPS target loads. What's up with these hulls?

<a href="http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af112/Tyden0416/?action=view&current=DSC02940.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af112/Tyden0416/?action=view&current=DSC02939.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af112/Tyden0416/?action=view&current=DSC02938.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Are these new shells or reloads? Did someone write on each shell or are they factory stamped?

To answer your question, these shells are known for coming apart and sticking in the barrel. In a auto loader it would be hard to detect the faulty shell before another shell was loaded and discharged.

3. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Factory stamped on the hull and on the box top - I will post pictures tonight -

4. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Sounds like a sorry attempt to cover up a known problem with their shells. Did it say make sure you look down the barrel to see if the hull was left behind on other guns? What about pump guns...exactly how would you do that?

Mark Rounds

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Extra-Lites?

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I don't think 1200fps are Extra-Lites.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

New ammo for old guns. Wayne

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

OK, well I see they have not addressed the problem after all.

Mark Rounds

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Great ammo for doubles. HMB

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Looks like fun to experiment with. I'm getting some!

Neil

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This load got me thinking about how they would preform in cold weather with pressures that low. I would think they are made with ATK components. Alliant's web site shows a load at 1200 fps and 5744 psi using 18 grains of Clay Dot, and a CB wad. Doesn't sound like a load I'd want to use in cold conditions. Of course maybe they are using that new top-secret Hodgdon propellant. LOL Wayne

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Federal knows they have a problem and they are working on it.

Wayne- Could this be a misprint? I would not shoot a load generating that low pressure in the Summer.

Pat Ireland

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Pat I don't think its a misprint, they show other loads at 5800 and 6000 using different wads. The not for auto shells are listed at 5000?? Yes, way to low. I was using some of my 1oz. 1100 fps loads with 15 grains 700X, 7400psi, yesterday in 20 degree weather. Half of them were hollow sounding, broke the clays, but not using them again until summer. Wayne

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I see the date Nov. 2006. Would this be a exclusive to Midway 7/8's load to see how well it sold to the clay shooting community?

Bill

15. gary0920

gary0920 Member

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Probably just covering their butts. That is a light load for an auto loader. Lower than many manufacturers recommend. If you didn't post that on the shell some shell buyers would be very disappointed when some of the shells malfunctioned in their semi-auto. Not saying that most auto loaders that were well cleaned couldn't handle them, but not what most manufacturers recommend. That would even be low for some autos at 1200 and 1 ounce.

17. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

finally, pulled out a inherited sxs out of the safe this winter. cold,took one out last weekend . 2 rounds = 47. reloaded some low pressure 7/8 with PB. What a hoot.. I'll buy a few boxes of these low pressure shells. I can see why there is such a following developing for these old guns. definately old school. mod means IM, full close to XF. granted, it's not going to take the trap world by storm, however these old gals were once the rage. have fun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal target load for autoloader