1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

federal gold medal factory load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by happy, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happy

happy Member

Does anyone know the exact factory load of federal gold medals? 3 dram 1200 fps. Which reload best duplicates the factory load? Any idea of the powder that is used? I know that factory powder is usally a blend that is not available to the public. Norm

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I was loading SOLO 1000 with a Fed 12s3 wad at 1210 fps . It shoot very well and was as close to a factory load as I could find .

ALF

3. abiezer

abiezer Guest

There are many powders that would closely replicate that load,
    but the key to replicating the gold medal load is the wad and shot.
    Use factory 12S3 wads, not aftermarket copies.
    Adn use the hardest magnum shot you can find.
    Any old shot just won't do.
    You can even replicate the load in the top gun paper b/w hulls.
    Right now i'm loading 24.7grs of Unique in a fed paper b/w hull
    WW209,FedS3,1 1/8oz of west coast magnum 7 1/2's for 1st shot on annies,
    pretty much replicates the gold medal handicap load.

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Years ago, Federals were loaded with Red Dot. I had cut some open and found the red flecks and had been told by Federal reps. I believe it was 18 gr. & 19 gr. best check a current manual. Fed primer & wad.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Originally it was Red Dot. Then Vitavouri (how ever it was spelled as Iam to lazy to look), Super Target (yes the winchester one) and in more recent times Green Dot or as the industry wants us to believe, a blended powder. The GM's I have are from a purchase last year and all have the green dot or its variant in them. Its strange how they weigh out the same as a non blend!

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Martin, Federal wouldn't try to BS us,,,would they? :) Hap

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Nah never :)

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

The last time I spoke with a factory rep he told me they were using Green Dot which makes sense since Hercules and Federal are owned by the same Conglomerate. JRM

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Norm. I like 20.0 Green Dot, Federal primer, real Federal 12S3, just under 1 1/8 (480 grains) of Magnum 7 1/2. Also a favorite load of Rick Arnett. Ron

10. happy

happy Member

Hey Ron, glad all you big guns went to Brittany. It makes it easier to win A class doubles when I'm the only entry. Handicap was harder as there were 2 long yardage shooters at peoria me and a 26 1/2. If it works for Rick it will be good for me. Altho I am going to try tha 700x load also. Hope you cleaned up at Brittany. Norm

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, Federal used Red Dot in all their factory shotshell loads, except 410. The kicker was, they had it in FIVE different burn speeds.

Nowadays, ammo companies use the cheapest powder they can get, and will blend powders to get the right burn rates.

Cannister powders are much more expensive and monumentally better than the poop in most factory loads.

If Federal really is using Green Dot in their GM loads, it explains why the ammo is so expensive. It is also a very good move.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

S.C. where did you get that informatiom on the use of Red Dot? HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal gold medal handicap loads