1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal GM case separation...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 8 Straight, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

We had an instance of a smooth Federal Gold Medal hull body separating from the metal case head, and the hull stuck in the forcing cone. A guy was using reloaded shells, and when he broke open the gun after the shot, only the base came out. It was the smooth hull kind, that has already been reported to be problematic. The hull was stuck pretty tight, as it would not dislodge after attempts to remove it with a bore snake, and a cleaning rod with wire brush. A loaded shell would seat nicely in the chamber, with the obstruction in the bore. I don't know how the guy got it out as I have not seen him since the incident. If he had just been looking down range and just popped the empty over his shoulder without checking it, things could have got interesting. I have a lot of once fired Fed GM hulls on hand, both smooth and ribbed. Me thinks the smooth ones are going in the crapper.

2. psfive

psfive Member

I was helping run a shoot at a weekend camp for fathers and sons this last Saturday (3-9-13). Most of these guys were non regular shooters. I placed a Winchester Universal 12 gauge shell in a pump gun the action was closed and a rock was broke. When the action was opened the steel head and base wad were laying in the open action. I saw it picked it out and stopped the shooting to check the bore. I found the plastic hull stuck just past the chamber. I inserted another shell just to check and yes it did chamber and the action would close. See the picture of the two parts.

We disassembled the shotgun to remove the separated plastic hull. It came out with just a little effort. I don't want to think what would have happened had it not been caught. Might have really ruined what had been a great day.

Paul in GINebraska.

3. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

About two years ago there were a rash of Federal's GM's seperating at the SW Grand. As I recall is was limited to only a few lots from that time frame.

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

As a long time user of Federal Papers, some of which that may have been reloaded too many times, I always make sure that I am able to remove a complete hull and/or the separated parts, of any brand of shot shell after each shot.

I have shot and reloaded many thousands of Federal Gold Medal smooth and ribbed hulls without a failure.

I once had a many times reloaded Nitro 27 load using 1 oz of shot separate just above the brass with the result of the entire plastic upper part of the hull go down range.

Ed Ward

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The common tool for Fed paper shooters was a hook made from a coat hanger to pullout a separated tube. You cou7ld do it without disturbing the squad if you were used to it.

HM

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have had this happen several times with Fed. plastics,smooth & ribbed, where the hull went out the barrel. Never with a once fired shell. This was with many times reloaded shells. Never had one stick in barrel.
    Clyde

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Put a dime down the barrel so it rests flat on the hull crimp. Then put the rod down the barrel from the choke end and give it a good ramming. This usually dislodges the hull out through the chamber. If it is a fixed full choke barrel, the dime will not fit, and you will have to use other means. Of course, if you have the full choke screwed in, you will have to remove it first.

I have seen this happen with the ribbed hulls of GM also. To many reloads of one hull.

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have loaded 1000s of both ribbed and smooth GMs---Not a problem yet---Awhile back we at my club had a Rem gun club dislodge the same way---I carry a tool made of copper and cpvc at all times---It will relieve the hull with no problem.If it is a stubborn one a little heat at the end of the copper will do the trick---You can carry a longer shaft for one that is deeper---I always check the discharg shell---I watched Debbie Kahohye eject her hulls and will watch the drop---Just the right thing to do---I have offered in the past to pay reasonable shipping to anyone going to dump them (once fired).

George@SJB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Good idea with the copper George, it will not scratch the barrel. I have had 3 or 4 gold medal smoothies separate in a batch that I had reloaded, I have never loaded the smooth ones since.

Joe McGorman

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Joe---This tool will compress the hull and push it out----I like the GMs---George

11. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

A few years back a gent shooting reloads had a case seperate like the one pictured above, after 20 minutes or so he was ready to go home done for the night.

I got done with my round on another field right about then, so I walked over to see what was up.

I picked up an old wad started it down from the nuzzle and pushed it thru with a dowl, out pops the hull.

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.