1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Flyer wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Boxbirder, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Doing a little barn yard pigeon shooting this weekend I decided to shoot a few P153 7.5 and some P155 7.5's Since we are in the Flyer season. While I was picking up I noticed some 2 piece wads. My buddy was shooting Walmart Specials so I figured they were his.
    Long story short it got me thinking so I took 1 of each apart. I was suprised that it's the same wad system they use in there Walmart specials were in there pigeon loads. I then took apart some Federal Paper target loads they use a 1 piece wad that is much thicker.

So after taking apart a Remington flyer load they use a 1 piece wad and the one load I have been leaning on more and more are the RST pigeon loads for Boxbirds. They use a very thick 1 piece wad. Paying something like 14 bucks a box for a Federal load and a 2 piece wad got me wondering why they went in that direction????

[​IMG]

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

3. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Boxbirder, can you give me more information on that book? Can one still find copies of it?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you want an issue of that book, click on the link i provided above. There appears to be a copy for sale. Kinda pricey.

You may also try Amazon although i think that book is out of print.

5. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

Let's talk about the wads maybe I might have a copy that can be emailed. HMMM

6. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Is it the C1 wad? And do you know who makes the wad for RST?

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Its a Federal wad made too fit several types of federal loads. The cup sits on the bottom part called the pedestal. If you look at it you'll see the pedestal rolls down ,this is done when the load is made. It accommodates various heights needed for the shell wanted.More economical for the company. Eliminates all the different wads.

8. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

I wonder why they don't use there 12S4, I just don't see how that 2 piece system can be better than a 1 piece wad for us shooters.

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Off topic: Amazon sells paperback copies of that book that boxbirder has pictured.

The book was published in the late 1800s if I recall correctly.....see link above if you want to browse through the book. Advanced Competition Shotgunning would be the most recent up to date book out there that talks about flyer/pigeon shooting.

There are some recent published books by a few British shooters on pigeon shooting (tower/driven and pass shooting, no flyer shooting). You can find those on Amazon if you are interested in that type of pigeon shooting.

10. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

The two piece wad you are describing is the original Federal 'Triple-Plus-Wad' column. That's what their advertising said at the time back in the 1960's. The triple plus came from 1.a powder sealing cup, 2. A collapsible column to absorb the recoil, and 3. A shot cup to protect the shot during firing. They were loaded in all the upland hunting loads at the time.

The reason Federal uses them is for economy. They make millions of them for hunting so why not use them in cheap target loads to save money. For every target load shot there are hundreds shot in hunting.

Michael Stephenson

11. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

"The reason Federal uses them is for economy. They make millions of them for hunting so why not use them in cheap target loads to save money. For every target load shot there are hundreds shot in hunting"

I really wonder if this is true.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I remember talking to a Winchester Rep many years ago.

He said that 90% of shotgun ammo is sold before and during hunting season. They spend most of the year stockpiling ammo for the buying frenzy!

Trap, Skeet, etc, ammo at that time accounted for only 3.5% of what they sold.

13. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner Member

Boxbirder,

Print 5 more of each on paper and you'll get the answer you seek.

I am not one to talk about patterning, because I have done very little in my time, however, everyone in the 70's and 80's that was worth a "tinker's dime" did.

Almost unamamously they all fell in line with hard shot and velocity not over 1200 - 1250 fps.

I have read Tom Roster's articles in "Shooting Sportsman" that show that current production plated shot is no harder than the magnum target grade shot used in the big three premium trap loads.

I said all of that to say that I doubt Federal is able to hold patterns as well with their current pigeon loadings, at 1330 and 1400 fps, as the old 3.25 Dr. 1.25 ounce loads.

Will Gurton

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

What is a popular load in the flyers world? Do they shoot factory or all reloads? I have shot the Remington STS pigeon loads for Annie Oakley's with fair success. But I am no games shooter, just a hack having fun. If memory serves it was a 1 1/4oz of 7.5's at around 1235 or so. I never got to pattern a box but I bet it would look nice with all of those pellets.

The games guys all seem to have secret sauce loads and I wonder if it is the same for flyers? I saw one shooter in our club run out of his ammo because the shoot off went so long and I think it was just the mental aspect that caused him to miss the next shot with factory AA's.

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The one flyer shoot I attended (and I would imagine it would be the same for all others) allowed nothing but factory ammunition.

Most of the guys I saw that day were shooting 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4oz.

It was a nasty bitter cold windy day. I shot 12/25, which I didn't think was too bad for my first time, I think my buddy bested me by a bird, it was his first time as well. I don't recall what the high for the day was, but I don't think it was out of the high teens.

It was one of the most exciting experiences I've had with a shotgun, and the excitement goes as you progress. I had one that I was just ON (probably the last 5 or 6 birds), I was set up over the middle of the field, and the middle trap opened, I don't think the bird was more than 5 ft in the air and I'd poured both barrels into it. Looked like to taped a stick of dynamite to a pillow LOL.

Unfortunately none of the people in the group I was hanging around with are shooting much anymore, but I definitely look forward to doing it again some day. If you can afford it, clay pigeons don't even come close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal triple plus

federal triple plus wad photo

triple plus wad column