1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

federal"CHAMPION" wads info needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poacherjoe, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

federal

I was recently given several bags of federal "champion" pellet protector wads,They are in good shape and the writing on the bag states 7/8 size,12 gauge,for 1 1/8 oz loads. I found a picture in another manual and they appear to be the 12C1 wad which shows it being used in the paper hull.Does anyone out there have load data for these using STS or AA or gold medal hulls and W209 primers.I have all kinds of powder??Thanks Joe

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

federal

Do these wads have a separate base, probably maroon? If so they are probably the wads that were produced for loading in the Champion II hull (mid to late 70's?). If so, I used them in the AAs of the era. I guess they would probably also work in the current STS.

There were two versions of this wad. One for the Champion II (plastic hull) and one for the paper Champion hull. You know, the straight-walled/tapered wall hull thing. I don't remember how they indicated which wad went to which hull. Maybe the wads for the paper Champion hull had a white base wad???

3. poacherjoe

federal

Yes they do have a separate base wad which is maroon and the instruction pamplet in the bag calls for federal Monark and Champion paper tubes or equivalent.I just want to know for sure without experimenting that I can use them with the above mentioned components.Someone out there probably still uses them or has info regarding them. Thanks for the replies. PJ

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

federal

Then is seems you have the ones for the Federal Champion paper hulls. They should work great in the Top Guns, or any straight-walled case.

Your call one whether to use them in tapered hulls. Some here will tell you they have done that with no problem. Other will say that is a serious foul.

5. poacherjoe

federal

up

6. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

federal

Mr Skeet has it just backwards. The Federal two piece waad with the maroon base was for the paper hull. The wad for the champion 11 hull had a black base and was smaller in diameter than the maroon wad. Your wads should have C1 on the bag. The maroon base wad was the same as in the shell when loaded new. Back some years ago Federal callED the hulls CHAMPION and MONARCH. About the same paper hull now called something else. Be careful who you listen to. Fred

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

federal

I happen to have an Alliant reloaders guide infront of me and it still lists loads for your wad in AA's.

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

federal

Ditto on Freds post, The maroon base was for the PAPER case. Used to buy them by the case. All we shot was Fed papers. In 1979 the loaded shells were $80-$85 a case.

BTW, they made them with a red base also.

AJ100

9. poacherjoe

federal

Thanks Pheasantmaster;That data makes it easy to use those wads up.Thanks for all the replies!The bags that I have do not have the 12C1 on them,They are probably 40 years old,back then paper was very popular.PJ

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

federal

When Federal stopped making the 12C1 it was the end of an era.

Shells loaded with those wads and a hefty charge of Red Dot made the best handicap load you coud get.

If I could find some I would use up the rest of my Federal Papers.

HM

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

federal

I could have it backwards. But I used plenty of those maroon based wads in AA hulls. But then we didn't have the inter-net then. Life was simple.

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

federal

40 years, back then?....JEEEEEEEEZZZ, it doesn't feel like THAT long ago. LOL

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

data for fed pellet protector wads

federal champion 12c1

federal champion hull

federal champion wads 12c1