1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FEDERAL CHAMPION SHELL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    last night an old time trapshooter gave me 10,000 federal champion hulls. they are burgundy in color, the hull appears to be composed of a stiff plastic. has anyone ever used this shell new, or reloaded this shell before? what would be a good reload for this shell, as I can not find any reloading material? he also gave me 5,000 winchester paper shells. were either of these shells considerd a good shell, new or reloaded?
    steve balistreri

2. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Both are excellent hulls for reloading. If you don't want them, I'm sure there are people on this site that would be interested.

Eric

3. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

The fedeeral hulls should be marked "champion ll (2). There was a federal wad for them called C2 I think. Much like the C 1 wad but the basewad was black and smaller than the C 1. Most of the tapered wads will work fine. I was loading 17.6 grains of reddot with 1 1/8 shot. Goold luck with them.

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I am not sure which older Federal plastic hull it was that would separate from the brass after a few reloads. Most of the time you could hear it "whistle" when it separated and flew out the barrel, but every now and then it would stick in the chamber. Be careful. Larry Evans

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

If the Win. papers are marked "Super Target" they were excellent shells originally, but Win. changed something after a year or two and they weren't worth doodley. They reload ok but have a high basewad requiring a short wad coluum, ala WW red.

Buz

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

reply:
    the paper shells are marked"SUPER TARGET" and the plastic shell is marked "champion II". I have a few new boxes of both the papers and plastic shells that he never got to shoot. I think I will shoot them this weekend at an ata shoot. will these new shells give me any problems, being so old????
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

7. 100straight

100straight Member

If you don't want the Winchester papers I can use them. If interested e-mail me and let me know where you are located. I'm going to be on the road from tomorrow night to Friday night and won't have e-mail until I get back Friday night.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Champ II's crimps burnt black and became brittle and didn't hold up long. Federal changed plastics for this shell and they proved to leave much to be desired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.