1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Champion II hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have been given a bunch of these once fired hulls. One piece construction, brass base, sort of heavy ribbed plastic construction.
    Can't say I've seen to many of these. What's the story on them ?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Federal was going to imitate the AA with that one. You can put any AA recipe in them. I had a few barrels from the 1976 Grand, wish I had more. Real purty with the gold lettering.

HM

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Standard straight walled Federals or tapered ?

4. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Here's what a factory loaded one looks like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

These hulls have thicker walls than AAs or STSs so the wad used should have a smaller diameter to be effective. I have a couple of cases of these, still loaded (new) from 1976, with the gold liberty bell on them.

Ed Yanchok

6. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Ajax, I used to reload those too. The wad I remember was the 12C2 wad which was very similar to the 12C1 for paper hulls, but the 12C2 wads had a black base and were a bit smaller OD at the bottom to allow for the tapered wall of the Champion II hull. If you look closely at the pictures I posted, you can just make out that black base inside the hull at the bottom of the wad column. Those were really neat looking shells, letting you see the shot, wad and powder inside. ....Rick

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

I loaded these for years. They were the first load for 1 oz that did not require a card to fill up the void. They were great. Use the 12 S1 and load normally. Ran out of 12S1 wads and hulls years ago. Great Hull.

TB

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I found an old reloading manual that still listed the Champion II hulls.
    It's recommended load for 1 1/8oz was Win 209 primer, 18.5 700X, WAA12 wad and listed 1205 fps and pressure of 10,400LUP.
    Not a fan of 700X and will look for similar load using Clays-Claydot. What's the difference between WAA12, WAA12SL?

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hey guys: I usually load nothing but Remington hulls. I load 1 oz. of shot, 17 grains of Promo and the DRRT12. (TGT12 clone). Well I had a fellow shooter give me a few Federal Top Guns to load. So I went out this morning and used the same components on my 366 and they looked great! I did note that they seemed to load a little harder than the Remington, (had to pull on the handle a little more); but the results were perfect. Haven't shot them yet. However, a fellow shooter said I would need a different wad to reload these. I don't want to buy special wads; but if these perform OK, I will use my same components and start loading them. I know where I can get a lot of them. Ed

10. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

From my understanding Rem. has a tapered hull and Federals are straight walled.
    I've had great luck in using DownRange DRF3-12 with Top Guns, Estate (same thing) and Fiocchi hulls. I'm sure this or a clone would be a better wad to use.

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I know that the Federal hull is supposed to be a "straight wall" compared to Remington/Winchester having a tapered wall. However, I remember many years ago I used to load Federals with the same components as I was using in the old AA hulls. I probably would only utilize these Top Guns for 16 yard loads anyway. But like I said I really don't want to buy another type of wad for the Federals. If I have to, then I'll just throw them away and continue with just the Remington hulls. I just thought maybe someone out there loaded the Federals with the same wads as for Rem. or AA. Thanks. Ed

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

As I recall the Champion II hulls were compression formed, one piece, tapered and of smaller capacity inside than the AA hull of the day. They were very similar to the Remington RXP hull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are winchester aa and federal champion 2 hulls interchangable

federal champion ii

federal champion ii hulls

whats the difference between federal champion paper hulls and champion 2