1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Champ 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Firekiller, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firekiller

Firekiller TS Member

Sorry to keep bugging you guys but does anyone have a good recipe for a federal champion 2? I got these in the trash can as well. Are they a good shell?

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If I recall they were popular in the early 70s.

Im looking at an unfired one I found a few weeks ago.

I can shine a light thru it and it looks like it has the old 12C1 red base wad but I cant be sure.

If so it loads like a Gold Medal.

The oldest reloading book I have is a 1980 Federal manual that lists a 1200 ft. shell with 18.5 Red Dot (old formula), Fed. primer, 12S3 wad, 1 1/8 oz. of shot. One grain less of powder gives a 1145 shell.

Im sure others who have been shooting longer than me have some older data

Regards....Gerald

3. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

the Champ 2 hull was loaded new with a 12 C2 wad which had a black over powder wad. The wad was developed for this hull, which was of tapered design. The paper federals were loaded with the C1 wad. Im pretty sure the champion II hull ws federals first plastic target load. Loaded a bunch of them. I have a loaded one that has the image of the Liberty Bell and "1976 Grand" on it. Stroker

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Federal's attempt at using a different plastic than polyethylene. They became brittle with one reloading and often shot the crimps off, even when new. Also not worth reloading, but pretty. Sorry

5. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

I have 1900 plus federal 12C2 wads I'd sell for $20 plus shipping. I used to load 17.5 gr of red dot with the 12c2 for about 1145 fps they loaded alright but I ran out of hulls before I used all the wads

thanks
    Jake
    xsskeet@yahoo.com

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

AA recipes will work. I had a barrel of those, very pretty maroon with the gold lettering.

I used a light AA or STS load, I think 17.5 Red dot and a PC or Blue Duster.

HM

7. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I haven't loaded a Champion II since the early 1980s. I remember using Federal data, primers and 12S3s with Red Dot (17.5 grs to 18.5 grs)and they were fine.

Never had a problem. Like the old Remington RXPs, they would CRUNCH when depriming on the MEC Grabber. I never had crimps blow out after one reload.

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Dont forget, the old Federal 209 is not the same as the much more powerful 209A so dont make that substitution especially with 1 1/8 lead; you may be way over the safe pressure with a fast poseder like red dot

Lymans #2 had data for them (1970's)

I loved the color and still have some. never had a problem but I didnt shoot hot loads in em.

You could also sell them on this list.

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12c1 and 12c2 wads