1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal bloppers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sterlingworth, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Has anyone had any problems with Ferderal shells.I was shooting today,and in the course of a round had three shells,that sounded like there was very little powder in them,to the point the guys started busting my chops thinking I was shooting reloads.Ive also had this happen with Estate shells.I saved the box's,would it do any good to touch base with the mfg,or just go back to Remington shells again.Thanks..Ray..

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bloppers????

<grin>

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

e-mail or call federal with the batch number off the box or boxes that gave you problems, they may ship you a box of replacements.

Surfer

4. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

On those bloopers, were the shells or the weather very cold, OR were you using a gun with a very large bore diameter?
    dju

5. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Model 12,50 degrees.The wad just about made it out the barrel? Whats up with that? Better off with my reloads.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've shot a ton of the Top Guns over the last couple years and haven't had a single dud. A guy shooting next to me in Fall League had one a fw weeks ago, but he said it was his first. In any case, at $47/flat for 1-1/8 oz./ 3-dram equiv. it's better than reloading for me.

-Gary

7. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I guess the rear hazzard here is if the wad does NOT quite make it out the barrel...
    Certainly sounds like the shells in this case. Not sure what other variables could be in play here.
    dju

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Where were that batch of shells stored, sounds like maybe some moisture got to them???? I've shot many Feds. & Rems. without problems, have had a couple bad promotional Win. & import stuff. Do you per chance shoot the lower bbl. of an O&U sometimes their firing pins are angled & don't strike the primer hard enough. Strange that you only had trouble with Feds. as they are one of the better ones for me, but I do shoot a pump with a fairly straight line firing pin. I know lotsa ?? & no answers. Ross Puls

Edit--OOps just re-read your ? and see M12. Have you checked for a broken or sticky firing pin? Ross

9. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I had a federal pink this year that failed to fire, Federal gave me a pink camo hat for my problem, Lady at the state shoot had one the wad stayed in her gun, it was my understanding she started to put another shell in when somebody suggested she check her barrel. She said her's shipped to her door from factory.
    Deb

10. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

I have in my hand a federal shell that looks like the wad went in sideways, or didn't go in correct. Unable to load into the gun. I went on line and contacted them about the problem cause it is something they need to look into it. Haven't heard back form them yet. Happend with in the last 2 weeks. We had a few people at our club with the same problem as you with federals. But this was the first time we had seen that and we guessed that in shipping or at the store they were stored incorrectly. But I would tell them.

Mel

11. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I worked as a field man for one of ther Big 3 in the early 70's. I always went to ATA and NSSA shoots with a trunk full of ammo. If a shooter gave me a faulty shell, I was injstructed to immediately give him 4 boxes as a replacement and send the dud to the faxtory for evaluation.

Can you see that happening today? The ammo companies just don't give a damn!

12. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I bought a couple of flats of the grey box Federal Top Guns at Wal Mart for $4.77 per box. I averaged about one misfire per box! I wrote a handwritten letter to Federal and they replied with a nice letter and, later, two boxes of the grey box Top Gun shells. I had two misfires from the two boxes they sent me! I have shot six cases of the pink Top Guns and ten cases of Estates without a single misfire. I blame the problem on the steel primers. No good!!!! Martinpicker

13. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I bought two flats of Federl Premium Paper Handicap ammunition at the PITA Grand Pacific this year. Out of the 20 boxes of shells I had two that the primer did not go off, and one box that only had 24 rounds in it. First time I have ever been short a shell in a box of new ammo. Was shooting with a guy from California next to me that can verify this. It sounds like Federal needs to step up the quality control a little bit. The dealer that I bought the ammunition from offered to give me one shell for the box that I was short on.
    Jim Bradbury

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I remember the Big Blopper didn't he die in that plane crash with Buddy Holly?

15. open choke

open choke TS Member

I love federal top guns!!!

I never had a single misfire since I have been shooting them for 7 months now.

Side note: I don't recall ever seeing a "lot number" on shell boxes like on medications when they can actually trace the day it was made, batch of powder, wads, etc that were used to make that batch of ammo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.