1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal Blackcloud steel shot shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by llukesh, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. llukesh

llukesh Active Member

Greetings, was wondering if there is anyone out there who has shot Federal Blackcloud steel shot shells? What was your overall opinion of them and did they cause any problems with your shotguns? Did you use them for ducks, geese, or both. Just give me your honest opinions and experiences. Thanks alot.

Gbulbino

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I have shot the premium shells for the last 5-6 years: hevi-short, tungsten-iron, etc. I shopped sales, closeouts etc and always paid about $15/10 box.

Last year when they climbed into the $30+ range I switched to Black Cloud at $24/25 box.

I used it for ducks and saved my "Big $$" shells for geese. I will shoot Black Cloud or Hevi-steel again this year.

BEATS THE HE!! OUT OF REGULAR STEEL!

3. markc2

markc2 Member

Utterly devastating! I have been searching for an economical waterfowl load since steel was outlawed. This stuff performs as advertised, and is nowhere near the price of tungsten, Hevi-shot, etc. Great stuff!

Mark

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am not sure I see a difference- there is no greater range to black cloud and in fact probably less range

sure it kills well within 30 yards but so what?

whateever blackcloud can do- you could do by moving up a shot size - and that would also increase the range you could shoot at

Gene

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Both BlackCloud and Hevi-Steel are a Tungsten-Iron admixture and are absolutely excellent bullets.

BC is a little gimmicky, with those wings, but, dang, they are sovereign medicine for big ducks.

Don't skimp on size ... 3s are a LOT more lethal than 4s, and with 3s, you maybe won't have to double-tap 40-45yd mallards and can swat the odd goose if you pick your shot.

Make sure your barrel is steel-rated. Figure out a choke that will give you a little spread and they DO ricochet something badterribulhorrible awful and you can easily kill your dog on a long retrieve if you 'swat' a swimmer.

Bob

6. markc2

markc2 Member

Choke is the answer. Any Federal load that has a Flight Control wad should be shot from a NON PORTED tube. Carlson, Kicks and Pattermaster all make tubes specifically for Black Cloud loads. Try it... You'll like it!

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Gene, BC & H-Steel have a density close to that of Bismuth ... +9.5g/cc, as opposed to 7.8 for 'pure' Steel shot, so they are more efficient than Steel, but with most of the same disadvantages and cost twice as much.

The DO work well, however, 5-10yds beyond Steel.

Bob

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Are you guys sure BC has tungston in it? I thought they were all steel with the gimmick being that half of the shot has that band around them.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Steel shot should be banned, especially in the hands of bunny buster's, pilgrim's and weekend warriors!

After using rebates and sales, I only paid $9.00 per box for Remington HD.

Curt

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The front 60% are Fe-Tn, supposedly, which us where the Premium (R) comes from, and the winged-jobbies are stamped sheet, however that information is from Duckchat or Pitblind. or somewhere. I should have said that.

A big part of their effectiveness is not the cutsey winged jobbies, but the 40yd wad. I put one of those cylinders IN a goose once. Impressively effective, it was - like hunting baby chicks in a telephone booth with a claw hammer.

I don't shoot steel any more, but those BC 3" #3 were as good a duck bullet as I've ever shot, if you minded the nasty-ass ricochets.

Bob

11. cim jr.

cim jr. TS Member

I think the black cloud shells are the best on the market. They pattern extremely well and kill ducks dead. My dog thanks federal for that. lol. We continue to shoot the same sizes as we have in traditional steel(2's for field hunting, 3's for timber and BB's and BBB's for last shot and geese) and these shells out perform them by far. They are tighter out of your gun because of the flight control wad so you may need to open your choke a little more. My father also shoots them out of a black cloud tube and we are always amazed at the range you can cleanly kill ducks with it.

as stated above do watch where you mop up(shooting cripples) at because they will richochet more than a regular shell and if cripples are close they will mangle them pretty bad.

I'm a person who spends close to 100 days a year hunting ducks and geese and they are the only shells i care to shoot. I just wish they would make them for my 10 ga.

Charlie Morrison Jr

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I reload hevishot. Last season I used 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch 1 1/4 ounce no. 5 hevishot. The range was unbelievable. I have used no. 6 hevishot reloads in 3 inch 20 gauge with great success. This season I will be reloading 2 3/4 inch no. 8 and no. 7 tungsten super shot in my 20 gauge.

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Charlie ... We both spend a lot of time half+ wet & muddy ... (smile)

A couple of years ago, I gave my plastic guns and all my steel & hevi- away, and decided to shoot the guns & loads *EYE* like to shoot, so all I shoot now are Brit doubles and Bismuth, but leaving the BlackCloud - itself - was my only real regret.

I used low-press, low-velocity, light #7s steel for 'swatters'. Perfect.

In one of my 10s, I played with cutting a few BCs, salvaging the shot and 'making' BC 10s, but couldn't tell any difference and the PITA factor was high. I used Fe-Tn in my 10s, btw, and they are sweet, indeed.

BC are good bullets.

Bob

14. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

As advertised they will make it rain ducks and geese. Last season I used both hevi steel and black cloud with good results but when hunting with snow on the ground it's unbelievable the amount of blood that is on the snow. It really tears them up. I love it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

black cloud shot shells

premium trap shot shells