1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal .45 ACP +P Brass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FalconSprint, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I just bought 1000 new, Nickel Federal .45 ACP brass, primed. Inside the case mouth on every one of them, there is a 1/8" wide black band( looks like paint) that circles the entire case mouth. On my Dillon 550B loader, when the powder funnel drops into the case mouth, it also bells the case mouth out to accept the bullet. On the down stroke everything is fine, on the up stroke this black crap sticks to the powder funnel, and I mean it holds it tight. Enough up pressure and it will snap free, which causes the powder to jump out of the case. Lubing the case mouth does nothing but make a big mess causing powder to stick to the funnel. I have never seen this on any case before. Any idea of what it is and what it's for?

2. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Hate to pimp another site. Might try smith-wessonforum.com They have a great reloadung section with lots of good reloaders.

3. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I've loaded a lot of FC +P .45 brass and never had THAT problem. But I have had sticky case mouths on .40's and .357 mags. But never so sticky to cause the powder to jump out of the case!

Try tumbling them or whatever you use for a case cleaner. Only other thought would be to try some dry neck lube.

I'm thinking the "black band" is a bullet sealant.

FN in MT

4. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Thought about tumbling them, but since they were already primed did not know what effect that might have. It must be some sort of bullet sealant. On the down stroke it must get heated slightly from friction, cause on the up stroke it's like super glue, I mean it's that hard to pull the handle up, then it snaps free, shooting powder all over the turret table. About every 10-20 cases I have to wipe the powder funnel clean with alcohol to remove this black gunk, and its tough to get off. Maybe now I know why they were on sale @ 13 bucks a 100. Never saw anything like this before, have loaded alot of Federal cases.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if you can find an easy way to remove the ring. Maybe you can scrape it off with a sheet rock knife, or wipe it off with a cue tip dipped in rubbing alcohol or adhesive solvent. HMB

6. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Contact Federal, that isn't normal.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Waterproofing. Keeps your powder dry. Send that "defective brass" to me for proper disposal.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Assuming they haven't crimped the primers, I'd decap them all, saving the primers for re-use, and then soak the brass in some acetone and see what happens.

9. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

That's called asphaltum, as mentioned, it's to insure the loaded round will be waterproof. The primer should also have a red laquer ring around it for the same reason. Once loaded, humidity, and even a trip underwater should not degrade the ammo. Since it's only a thousand (not a huge amount), I would suggest after you bell the case to remove it from the loader and charge it with a separate powder measure (if you have one). After once fireing, and then tumbled, the brass will be as normal. As someone mentioned...you could try depriming them and go through the chemical/mechanical effort of removeing the asphaltum, but: A. we all know it is NOT a good idea to deprime live ammo, metalic primers way more than shotshell primers, and B. (the part about reuseing them), since the internal anvil will be located more close to the cup by the deprimer pin pushing it out of the pocket, it will surely cause a bunch of them to go off during the reseating procees. IF there is nothing flammable (like powder) around, you're wearing good safety glasses, and don't mind the occasional bit of shrapnel in your arms/body, you could try that. (Last part was an attempt at humor).

10. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Thanks guys, it was a task but I got them all loaded. Just kept cleaning the powder funnel every 20 rounds or so. The primer also had a black ring around it. I shot a couple rounds, after 1 firing it's burned off and gone. Maybe I'll set these rounds aside for shark hunting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.