1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal .410 stick in gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stretch43, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stretch43

Stretch43 TS Member

A friend of mine has a problem with some once fired 2.5 inch .410 shells. He says they stick in his pump gun and he has to use a rod to get them out of his barrel. I use the same shells in my browning o/u and dont seem to have any problems. He says his gun is clean in the chamber area. He also says it appears to be hanging on the brass. Any Ideas i can give him?

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

If I understand you correctly, these are reloads he is using. If so, he needs to adjust the resizing station. He may want to resize, and check to see if they will fit in the chamber before finishing out the shells on the loader.

3. Stretch43

Stretch43 TS Member

He has a new mec 600 jr reloader for his 410's. I suggested he follow the adjustments for his resizer station. He says that the shells are hard to get out of the resizer station too. I think that this is his problem but the book doesnt give a lot of info on the adjustments for this station. Thanks Ron

4. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Go to Mec's website and download manual. Looks like he needs to adjust the sizing ring. Be sure to lock up the lock ring after adjusting.

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If the shells were shot in a gun with a slightly oversized chamber before he got them, the MEC jr may not be able to size them back enough for a tighter chambered gun. He will usually be ok with hulls that were only shot in his gun first. A MEC grabber can be set to resize better and the hulls will not stick in the resizer either. Good Luck

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

That's why I got the sizemaster in the 410 ga. Try some Rem's or Win. AA's and see if he still has a problem. If so maybe get the sizemaster or resize seperately on Mec's whatamalcallit thingamabob. Its late good Night. Break-em all. Jeff

7. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

I got into this with some Gold Medals in 410 that I had bought. (ten flats) Turns out they were steel hulls. As long as you reloaded in a loose machine and shot them in the same gun you had no problem. My problem was that my PW was pretty tight and they would not size right and would stick. Ended up shooting them ounce and the sending them back one flat at a time to Federal. Have not bought a box of Gold Medals since.

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

olddrum1 has nailed it. The obvious answer is not to shoot Federals. Their steel head is the problem. It requires a bit more sizing than a brass head shell because of the spring back properties. At the price of .410 ammo, one would hope to reload them a number of times to spread the cost. Of all the .410 hulls, Federals also offer me the fewest reloads before I get "zingers." The best for reloading are the Winchester AAHS hulls. Remington .410 hulls reload fine, but don't provide as many reloads as the WW hull.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Pick up a junk Pacific/Hornady single stage press and get a 410 sizing ring from Hornady in 410..with the shell ejector.. They properly resize to the rim.. I've not seen a shotgun that they didn't chamber in correctly.. Now.. if after that they stick.. Don't use the steel headed shells..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

410 hulls stick in deprime station of mec 600 jr mark v