1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FEDERAL 410 hulls for reloading???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poacherjoe, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Can anyone please let me know about the reloadability of Federal high brass 2 1/2 inch hulls. I recently purchased 10 cases and I am interested in reloading the hulls.Thanks PJ

2. johnpe

johnpe Member

I've just completed putting up about 4 full cases of 2 1/2" .410's. All were put up with H-110 powder and the correct wad. By correct wad I mean that I used Remington or the new red AA wads for the AAHS, Remington and Federal cases and regular AA or CB clones for the compression formed AA hulls. Using a dial caliper, I found very little difference between the new red AA wads and Remington wads. The easiest to load were the Remington and Federal hulls which loaded with the same die settings, the next easiest were the AAHS with slightly tweaked settings and the hardest to load with much more tweaking of die settings and often slightly deformed hulls were the compression formed AA. Obviously, my favorite hulls are the ones that are the easiest to load - the Federal is one of them.

3. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

You will need to use Federal wads -- both 28 and .410 require proper wads -- those that are designed for the specific hull -- learned my lesson trying to use wads not dedicated to the hull design -- you will not get a good seal over the powder and you will be shooting bloopers -- I have had to cut down more shells than I would like to admit -- save yourself the grief -- 12 and 20 Gauge are more forgiving -- just use the right wad to stuff in there -- Federal hull load fine and you will get good results -- Doug

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

They zing. They occasionally zing on 2nd loading, often on third, regularly on forth loading. They zing with all wads, all powders, all primers. Don't waste time trying to find a wad, primer, powder combo that doesn't produce zingers. They'll zing, but some batches of empties seem better than others.

BTW - All the wads work. Use what's cheap and available.

If score counts, load once and toss. If not, load twice and toss. Load three or more times if you want to be the squad PITA.

BTW2 - Some opine that zingers stay together and act as a slug, often landing well beyond normal shot-fall distance...as a slug. Ouch, that gotta hurt. It's certainly something that will surely enhance relations with club neighbors.

Believe it, or not.

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I have more zingers with Federal than any other hull. That's why I won't load them any more.

6. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

I load them them like all others but the powder drop is more. Much more, to take up the space. I use H110 with a Down Range wad. They work good for practice but I use Remington for Registered.

Take care,

Jim

7. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I am stuck with the federal brand so I will have to give them a try. I was told that the biggest PITA in loading the 410 hull is you have to use #8 or smaller shot because it gets jammed in the drop tube.Is this true???Thanks PJ

8. incognito

incognito TS Member

I load Federals with no more trouble than any other brand. I use claybuster AA clone wads, Lil Gun powder, and Nobelsport primers with 8-1/2 shot.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If Federals are all you have, then load them. But expect them to zing. Circumstances of your shooting and your temperament will determine your level of zinger tolerance, and consequently how many times you'll load them.

Believe it, or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.