1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal 28 gram loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Our local walmart just get in some Federal 12 ga target shells that have 28 grams of shot.. Would they be worth buying? they are only $4.77 a box. Is 28 gr. about 7/8 oz of shot?

2. clayscoach

clayscoach Member

24 = close to 7/8oz, 28 = 1oz, 32 = 1 1/8oz, 36 = 1 1/4oz and so on.

3. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

I wouldn't buy them, only because the premium with rebate are only a few dollars more seems like most WM I've been to have been running around $75 (will be $70 in Sparta) with rebate thats $50-55 for premiums. Just my opinion.

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I agree with the idea of buying the premium ammo. We just had Fed papers for $60 flat & Gold Medal @$50 flat after the rebates. Sell the hulls for 2-3 cents ea. That works out to $4.50-$4.25 a box for Gold Medals. Is not hardly worth it to reload except for the idea that a certain reload works well in your gun.

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If these are the 7/8oz 1400 fps loads Walmart sold eight or nine years ago before offering the 1 oz 1290 fps load; I would term these 7/8 oz a good target load for sporting clays and short yardage and closer, although my girlfriend cut her pot shooting teeth with these loads knocking down targets in the sixty to seventy yard range with the 7/8 #6 load.

I have been buying and shooting Federal's 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads both built excluvsively for Walmart since they were introduced and have been quite pleased with there performance and have reloaded somewhere in the vicinity of thirty five to forty thousand hulls with no issues.

It seems Walmart has been hit with Federal's rising component prices and can no longer maitain their sub $5.00 price point for a box of shotshells. It appears they have been forced to reintroduced the 7/8 oz load as a way to maintain a sub $5.00 price

Surfer

6. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I saw them yesterday. Funny thing the 7.5's were marked 28gm and the 8's were marked 1 oz. Both said 1250 fps velocity. I picked up a few boxes, as my experience with the Federals has been generally good. I'm not sure I could reload them for $4.77 with shot and primers so high. BTW 28 gm= .99oz so they are 1 oz loads essentially.

7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Bought a box and opened them up and they said top gun 1oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.