Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Federal 209 vs CCI 209M

17K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SARGE75X 
#1 ·
Just bought a keg of Green Dot and got Alliants new recipe book to go with it. Im planning on loading some 1 1/8 Handicap 1250 FPS loads for the Turkey shoots that start Saturday, the load I'd like to load uses a Remington Hull, with a Windjammer Wad(which I have), but calls for a CCI 209M primer(which I dont have), I assume thats a magnum primer, I have a ton of Federal 209A's and I know Federals are hot but again are they as hot as a CCI 209M ? Can I substitute, and loose a few FPS? I noticed alot of Handicap Green Dot Loads calling for the CCI 209M primer. My component supplier says he can get them but theyre $35.00 a thousand,ouch! Can save a little on 5K.

#2 ·
My experience would indicate that Federal 209A will likely be ever so slightly hotter than the CCI209M, but not enough to cause concern. Use at your own discretion, but backing off 1/2 to 1 grain on your powder charge, to start off with, and chronographing you load may not be a bad place to start. From there, you could move the powder charge up closer to the recipe load, if necessary.

John

P.S. As far as I know and have read, you are correct that CCI 290M is a magnum primer.

#6 ·
If you bother to check Alliants data you will find one load for the Fed209a with your combination at 1145. There is one at 1145 for the CCI209m. Using that for a comparison the Fed primer load is 1700 lbs higher in pressure than the CCI. That load using the FED primer is 9600 psi. Using your load at 21 grains will put you over 10000 psi. Be careful what you guess at.

#8 ·
The 209M is a Magnum primer and will boost your pressure. I have used them in the past when the temps were going below freezing and I didn't want to change the entire load. I shoot Green Dot and it is not cold enough to worry about it, my loads are around 1250 with regular primer and I shoot the same load year around.

If you are looking for speed and I assume distance why are you using a WJ wad?? I believe a AA or figure 8 clone would work better for you.

Don

#9 ·
I wanted to use the WJ wad because I have a cart full of them, and according to Alliants book 22 grains of GD with a WJ wad and a CCI 209M primer produces 1250 fps but only 9400 psi, where 22.5 grains of GD with a WAA12 wad produces 10,700 psi, if I was shooting my SX1 I wouldnt care, but my SX1 is in pieces so my 1100 gets the call this weekend, and from experience I know when I put alot Handicap loads thru my 1100 something always breaks. But no big deal, I tried to reach Alliant 3x yesterday but all I got was a answering machine so I made a few calls and found the CCI 209M primers. BTW Im curious as to why apparently you dont think the WJ wad shouldnt be used? With 8 petals it drops away faster( I would assume) but its still going thru a full choke. Id go pattern the gun and compare but dont have the time right now, but I'll load some Remington hulls with Long Shot and a WAA12 wad and see which seems to hit the target harder. When the GD is gone Im going to get a keg of Super Handicap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.