1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal 209 primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by snow, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snow

snow TS Member

I was given 300 Federal 209 primers. I have searched for a formula for Federal Papers using the 209's. The only information I have found expressley states do not substitute 209's for 209 A's. Does anyone have a suggestion where to look for a 209 primer formula using E3 powder and Federal wads with a Fed. Paper hull.

Thanks,

John

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

John:

Its highly unlikely you'll find data using E3 powder with the old style Fed 209 primer. E3 hit the market more than a decade after the Fed 209 was replaced by the Fed 209A.

I'd probably just use them in an older published load but you can always ask Alliant's Ben Amonette. He may be able to give you some guidance for the E3/Fed 209 combination.

sissy

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I think that the don't substitute is the other way around, do not substitute Fed 209A in Fed 209 recipes.

From Hercules nka Alliant 1983 Reloader's Guide:

12 ga Fed Paper hull, Fed 209, 12S3 wad, 1 1/8 oz shot, 18 gr Red Dot 8700 psi; 19.5 gr Green Dot 7400 psi; 1145 f/s.

For 1200 f/s I would use 21.0 gr Green Dot 7800 psi. There is a Red Dot load, but the new Green dot and Red Dot are now improved so I would stay at the lower ends of the data.

If you are sending e3 loads out for pressure and velocity testing try using Win 209 data. I can't remember if the Fed 209 had a covered primer hole. I remember a warning about using ball and other fine grain powders with a primer that did not have a covered primer hole.

Jason

4. snow

snow TS Member

Thanks for the information. I'll check with Ben for information. I just hate to load without a formula.

John

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I would take them off your hands. I use them in my muzzle loader. If you have no use for them just let me know.

6. snow

snow TS Member

I e mailed Ben Amonette at Alliant. His respone it was fine to subsitute 209's with 209A formula's. I shot 50 rounds yesterday with the 209's. No problems with fit. It could well be that the 209 has a lower velocity because I was not getting smoked targets. Or more likely it was my shoting that was to blame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
e3 powder in federal papers

federal 209 primer problems

old style fedral 209 primer equivalentto what
pic of federal 209 a primer