1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Federal 209 primers: Good for what?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Picked up some Fed 209 (not 209A) primers at a garage sale. I understand these are made obsolete by the new 209A primers. What can I use them for in 1 or 1-1/8 oz loads. I don't load anything near maximum, so can they interchange with something already published? Thanks to all.

2. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

I ended up with about 7000 of the old fed 209's, and after looking at some old reloading data where they still list them, the recipies match up almost perfect with the current Win 209 primers. I have used about 2000 of them instead of win 209's and can tell no differance. But don't try that with the current FED 209A or you could end up with over pressure loads.

Jack

3. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

New Loader

Before you send those primers to wireguy give them a good soaking in WD-40 and then wipe off the excess, we would not want them to arrive with rust on them.
    I would recomend that wireguy uses them for his Friday night loads.

Jack

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

new loader:

If you currently load any of the powders in common use before the introduction of the Federal 209A, there's a ton of old data available. Examples include Red Dot, Green Dot, 700X, and some Clays. You won't have any luck with newer powders like Titewad, e3, etc.

If you list the type of powder, hulls, and wads you have on hand or would like to use, some of us can probably share published data from older manuals.

sissy

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Just use the new data; it'll work fine. When 209A's first came out Federal printed a 4-page list of new recommendations and at least for trap loads there wasn't enough of a difference compared to the old ones to worry about.

Neil

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Neil & others, Thanks for info...I just found 300 in my old stuff; looking at old loading manuals it appears they can be used with current Win209 primer based loads...I load down anyway. Best Regards, Ed

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The 209, when it was current, was considered "hotter" than the WW209's. I wonder if now WW has warmed up over the years - I have no idea. I'd use current 209A data and figure it will the same or a little weaker, but, again, powders not only drift over a generation, they do week by week and you'll never know the difference since any systematic changes is muddled by chance variation in any case.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.