1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

federal 12s4 the right wad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quicky, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicky

quicky Member

I am looking for a 1 1/4 oz load for a bunch of light purple fiocchi hulls which I can let fall when bird hunting. I want to push the shot at 1300 to 1350 fps if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks, Quicky

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The 12S4 is as good as any, better than most and will fit the Fio burple perfectly.

Bob

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have used the 12s4 in 1 1/4 oz loads for many years. I like Herco but have used 800x, Longshot and even Bluedot. Go to the Alliant and Hodgdon web site and use their load data, do not use other peoples loads without looking them up and weighing your results. Herco is a real good load and seems to be a little less recoil than the others

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

cubancigar, what do you like about Herco? Your one of the few guys that still use this powder that I know of. Yes I know there out there but just a wonderen.

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

4756 is an excellent powder with minimal felt recoil for such a load. 31.5 to 33 grains should doe wonders for you. Consult Hogdon/IMR's website. If they don't show a load for the Fiocchi hull I believe a Federal gold medal hull would be close.

John E.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Herco is my favorite powder for 1 1/4 oz "games" loads.

I like to stay in the 1220-1250 fps range using size 7 magnum shot. This load has a long reach and moderate recoil. For maximum range, I prefer size 6 or size 5 shot but 7's will really reach out.

The Alliant web site provides loads for several several different case/primer/wad loads. The most common wads are 12S4 in straight walled cases and SP12, RP12 and Red AA in tapered cases.

If you want to go above 1275 fps with 1 1/4 oz., IMO you need to go to Blue Dot instead of Herco.

Ed Ward

Herco is very popular with "games" shooters in Kentucky.

7. quicky

quicky Member

Thanks all...I haven't been able to match the Fiocchi case and the Rio primer on the Hodgdon and Alliant powder sites. That has been the hang-up here. Thanks again, Quicky

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Quicky, in my opinion the Rio primer should be comparable with a Winchester 209 as far as how hot it is, and a Fiocchi hull should be a straight walled hull with no taper, so a federal should match it best. To be safe you may want to view and try a recipe for a Federal Hull, 12S4 wad and a Federal 209A primer, (which seems to be the hottest primer out there). That way you shouldn't get an unsafe amount of powder in there with the Rio primer. Of course trying a couple through a chronograph right of way and feeling the recoil should tell you a lot.

Good Luck, John E.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster. I guess I am just old fashioned and I was raised and lived 50 years not fat from them ole Kentucky boys. Back home in Indiana everbody used it from the fence. I really do think it has less recoil but cannot prove it. I switched to 800 X, then Bluedot, then Longshot and I am back on Herco. Been doing it since the 60's or so

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Quicky

Ditch the Rio primer, unless you have data to support it. It is NOT interchangeable with any other primer and substituing it could put you way over the top, as far as pressures are concerned. For heavy loads, you are best to stick with the EXACT components listed in the data. For the limited data that is available for the Rio primers, they appear to have the potential for raising pressures dramatically.

11. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Around here, it's not proper to let your hulls fly and not pick them up prior to leaving the hunting grounds. You'd be better off using a bright colored shell, like an "AA" so that you can find it easier.

Good hunting,

Ed Yanchok

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Martin....... I've been shooting Herco since 1963. Used it for ducks and geese for years. 11/4oz. 6's, or buffered 4's. 29 grains in a Federal paper. Still use it exclusively for meat shoots and Annie Oakley's, etc. Tried Blue Dot (Kicked the snot out of me), 800X (never metered worth a dang), 4756 with a Winchester stubby Red wad (Kicked the snot out of me), and IMR7625 (Just too expensive). I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but, I will admit I just bought 8lbs. of Longshot just to try. Building a 11/8oz. load of 6's at 1485fps. just for kicks..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Dan, if your going to spank that 1 1/8 oz load to those levels, get ready! Its gonna have a blue feeling.LOL

cubancigar, (actually both of you) really haven't known to many that used very much of this powder. Growing up we used red and unique and we had a bunch of AL7 for whoopen_stoppen. I've played alittle with it but not much. I've got a small keg and haven't got around to it. Been hooked on 4756 for years.

If the two of you trust me, send me your favorite loads sometime with this powder.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

That Herco might be pretty old school but it makes a good powder for the .45 Colt. Fluffy enough to fill most of the case and slow enough to get those big chunks of lead moving at a decent pace. Never tried it in the shotgun.

15. quicky

quicky Member

I would gladly use Federal primers if I could find any of them. Sportsman's Warehouse is always out of virtually everything. I'll have to order the 12s4 wads over the internet as well, they have none of them either. Just wanted to avoid the $20 hazmat fee for few hundred primers. Maybe if I put some Herco or 4756 powder with it it would be more reasonable. Thanks, Quicky

16. chazbodazz

chazbodazz Member

If you bought powder and primers they have to be shipped seperately. You now would have two hazmat fees. At least thats been my experience. Charlie

17. DANKIM

DANKIM TS Member

The best load for 1/4 is Federal Gold Medal Plastic shell, 1/4 5's, 33.4Gr LONGSHOT powder win:209 primer WAA12F114 WAD, 7200 PSI at 1385 PSI, (BUFFER OPTION) WON A LOT OF CUSTER WITH THIS LOAD.
    BOOMER DAN

18. quicky

quicky Member

Clyde3: is that the old style Federal hull with the 1-piece hull and an internal taper ( 8-point crimp) with the WAA12F114 wad or is that WW wad made for a straight wall case? Quicky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12s4 comparision

12s4 wad

fed 12s4 wads

federal 12s4

federal 12s4 load data
federal 12s4 wad
federal 12s4 wads
federal wad 12s4