1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FED X ? Never again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap2, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Marc.... I have used them all and, in my experience, the ONLY one I have had ZERO trouble with is USPS. They are the only ones I will ship my guns with. I slide the gun into the case, slide the case into the box the case came in, address the box, and take it to the Post Office. I send it priority mail, insured, and have never been questioned as to the contents, other than is it perishable, flammable, or explosive. I have shipped well over 30 guns this way and have had no problems. For me, it's a no brainer... Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

All of my outgoing long guns go USPS Priority. No hoops to jump thru'....just take it to the local post office and it is a done deal. Three days transit time to nearly anyplace in the lower 48 states. Rick ~~~Texas

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Marc.... I have used them all and, in my experience, the ONLY one I have had ZERO trouble with is USPS. They are the only ones I will ship my guns with. I slide the gun into the case, slide the case into the box the case came in, address the box, and take it to the Post Office. I send it priority mail, insured, and have never been questioned as to the contents, other than is it perishable, flammable, or explosive. I have shipped well over 30 guns this way and have had no problems. For me, it's a no brainer... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

All of my outgoing long guns go USPS Priority. No hoops to jump thru'....just take it to the local post office and it is a done deal. Three days transit time to nearly anyplace in the lower 48 states. Rick ~~~Texas

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've had 2 insurance claims with fedex (both non-guns) and both were paid in full and promptly (with a little (not much) arm bending on one).

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I go to the Fed Ex main office. When I tell them it is a gun, they dont even ask a question.Lots cheaper than USPS and UPS.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I found shipping firearms really depend on who you're dealing with over the counter.

FedEx & UPS does not accept firearms from their convenient shopping/coping locations, needs to drop off at their commercial terminals. Depend on who's over the counter when you walk in, it can be "You need a FFL to ship this", "You have to ship overnight" to no question asked.

Recent first hand experience when I ship a rifle to a famous TX hog hunter, 3 days.

USPS is very questionable on their training too, some insist I can't ship firearm at all, some say I need to go to the main office. When ship via Priority with insurance, it became registered mail right away, I'm paying Priority but it took 14 days from L.A. to TX because it was handled as Registered Mail.

Recent first hand experience when I ship a shotgun to another gentleman in TX, 14 days. Because his FFL insist FFL to FFL, and my FFL use USPS. At the same time, the other famous hog hunter told me his Priority Mail firearms all arrived in 3 days.

So, my advise is, when the person over the counter told you something you don't like, go to another location or come back in the after noon. :)

Good luck to you guys.

8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Hey Steve!! "Texas hog hunter" here. If you ship Priority 3 days always works for me. "Registered" is the safest USPS serive offered BUT it requires a signature from anyone who touches the package. This can easily turn a 3 day shipment into a 7 day shipment. My post office allows insurance on Priority Mail and has never tried to make me go registered unless I want to. Steve, I think you are 100% correct....it depends on who is on the other side of the counter. I live on a ranch near a small town so everyone in the post office knows their customers by name. One of the benefits of living "in the sticks"~~~~ Rick ~~~Texas

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Same story, another day. I shipped a gun today FedEx with no problem. Have had no problem with USPS, only UPS, but I have not gone back there since I pulled both the Title 18 Fed Regs and UPS policy off the internet. I will stop in at a UPS store near me and try to show them the printouts someday.

Both Fed-Ex and UPS read pretty much the same on shipping policy, but I think a lot of employees are not reading the complete policy which says a non FFL holder can ship to a FFL holder. They read FFL to FFL and that is either as far as they get or they just don't want to mess with it, because they don't like guns.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Not every person who works for FED X, or any other shipper, is competent.

Pat Ireland

11. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

USPS, Priority Mail, Delivery Confirmation.....the best way to go. Don't be stupid and try to hide the fact it is a gun, send only to FFL, with copy enclosed, and FFL written in address....I've sent at least a dozen this way and never a problem. WC

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A google search shows that St Augustine, Fl has a Kinkos. I drop my Fed X packages off at Kinkos and have never been asked the contents. Have insured guns for just under ten grand with zero questions. Fed x charges my account after delivery and I like them much better than UPS.

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I have used fed ex for a coupleof years. I have an online account. Thatmeans that I can go online, print the label and drop it off at an officemax or kinko's. Charge it to a credit card and don't have to identify what it is. never had a problem YET. motordoc

14. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I think a lot of who is the best and easiest to ship with depends who is working the desk. I have used all 3 of the major shippers to ship guns and in my area FedEx is buy for the best and cheapest. I don't even price shop. I know the lady at the hub and it is as simple as can be.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ever since UPS made the customers, some of whom were not computer literate, all use the terminals when they brought their packages in, I don't go there. The people ahead of me always have troubnle with the process. In addition they have to high a smash ratio with incomeing shipments I have received ober the years.

Fedex is 3 miles further, USPS is the same distance.

If a firearm is involved I go to Joe Petoskey's site and print out the rules of the agency and have them in my pocket to show the counter monkey.

Works for me.

HM

16. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

For those of you that think Fed X is O.K. I just got an e-mail delivery confirmation that the TM 1 will be delivered on Monday 12-7-09,,

AND HE (Marc) DID NOT SEND IT FED X,,,,,,He used USPS,,,,

Still think they're playing with a full deck???????,,what a screwed up outfit,,

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Be interesting to find out who actually delivers the TM1.

Eric

18. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

mixer,

Rest assured, it will not be Fed X. They refused to accept my package and I was told that since my package was never scanned into their system there would be no charge to my credit card. Well somehow it did. OICU812 is the receiving party and both he and I received emails from Fed X with info including tracking number for this shipment.

It will be very interesting to see how they handle the insurance claim after they discover they have lost the supposed shipment. I'll keep you posted.

I deleted all my previous entries on this post because I thought it was getting out of hand, as though I had an axe to grind. I do not.

This adventure(?) in futility just keeps getting better and better. I'll keep you all posted.

Marc

19. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

You guys remember that Masonite luggage commercial? The one with the Gorilla throwing one of their suitcases around inside a cage? I think that gorilla works for UPS these days. Jim

20. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Follow up:

Even though Fed X refused (as per instruction by home office) to accept my gun shipment, they had no trouble accepting and placing a charge on my credit card.
    Label and payment was done by internet service. I was told that as long as label was not scanned at a drop off point there would be no charge to my credit card.

What a bunch of S*#t. Now I suppose I will be in for a long battle to have the charge refunded. Luckily it was a credit card charge that can be contested.

Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.