1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fed up with high tech, will not take it any longer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I am so fed up with high tech that I will not take it any longer. My son lent me a cell phone for a day as he thought I needed it. Nothing but interruptions, forget it.

I sent my niece a letter and she said that she never received a personal letter??? What the he-- is going on around here?

I use my mothers computer and once again she has another virus. If there is anyone here who was born prior to 1960, you can't tell me things are better today than years ago.

When I was a child and was bored, all I had to do is go outside and get some friends to play baseball or football. Today, I hardly see any children outside playing as most are indoors like demented robots playing video games.

I go to the mall, and see these young people walking and looking at their phones texting. If I call someone, please answer the fricken phone, and if you can't have the courtesy to call me back, please do not text me.

I will not accept a text even if I had a cell phone. Is there anyone out there that is fed up with this as much as me? All this tech is ruining this world as we know it.
    Steve Balistreri

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Last week I met some people in NYC for dinner on the upper east side. As I walked down the street I saw a large number of young people in small groups walking along or sitting outside restaurants. At least half of the people in each grouop were on their cell phones or playing with some hand-held electronic device. I started paying closer attention and realized that it was MORE than half; much more!

I walked several blocks and the scenario never changed. These people are sick. Why are they with one group of people and talking to someone else? I witnessed NO conversation between people who were physically together.

I concluded that it was Bush's fault.

3. pdq

pdq Member

Steve:

just responded to your question by texting you. :)))

Pete

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Its not just young people walking around and texting or talking on the phone while driving or in public areas. By the way a computer is high tech and you are using it. lol

5. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Watching the All Star Game last night, whenever they panned the crowd I noticed the same thing. Probably half of them where doing something with their damn phone. They don't deserve to be taking up valuable seating at such an event if they are not even going to pay attention. Is anything that important that it can't wait a couple of hours until the game is over.

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Smoke I think it all started with the high tech, at the time, flush toilet so that's the first thing you should discard. Everything else will take care of itself.

Good luck with all that.

Bob

7. senior smoke

Pete: LOL
    Steve

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I fought the tech crazy for years and finally relented and got a cell phone a few years ago. It is just a phone and I don't usi it for data or text. I'm the exception but it fits my anti social personality :)

Yes I think the dependency on these devices is a bad thing and it is obvious that many people have traded real life experiences for virtual lives. Sad deal. Sometimes I wonder if a massive EMP might actually be what we need to turn things around.

9. senior smoke

wolfram:
    I took my wife out for a movie for her birthday the other evening. While watching the movie some twerp a few rows in front of me gets a phone call on his cell and people started booing him.

The jerk keeps on speaking and then ends the call. A little while later, the same guy receives another call and people started yelling at him. The guy still did not end the call.

I am to old to slap this punk around and stick this phone up where the sun don't shine, but it would have given me much satisfaction.
    Steve

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If you were born before 1960 you're in the forefront of a technological tsunami that will become the new paradigm. The new cell phone texting all the time generation doesn't care how you did things when you were a kid or that you listened to music on a 45rpm record, watched b&w television and had a phone with finger holes in the dial that was hard wired to the wall.

Everything changes and if you don't accept the change you'll be left with complaining about how things used to be. Truth be told, the new generation doesn't care about how things used to be.

Eric

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Steve,

You're not too old. Just sneak up and sucker punch the little pri#*. Then have an instructional dialog with him before he loses consciousness. Remember about "age and guile" out-doing youth and inexperience. Just be gone before the cops arrive. They might be young and thus not understand these profound truths.

Tony C

12. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

I refuse to get a cell phone! I hate telephones; I dont even answer the phones in my home unless I feel like it. I have an answering machine to screen "idiot" calls. Just because some yo-yo decides to call me doesn't mean I have to decide to answer the call.

Also, what makes these clowns who take cell phone calls in public places think I want to over-hear their phone conversations? If I'm close enough to them I start whistling loud enough to distract them! I've been tempted to grab the phone out of their hands and throw it on top of the nearest building.

I had an experience when a cell phone clowns phone rang... right in the middle of my Mothers' funeral while the preacher was speaking!

13. senior smoke

Tarhawk:
    Now that's a time when the cell phone should have been stomped on. Sorry about your mom.
    Steve

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Eric, I know what you are saying is the truth and the tradegy of the brave new world. We have this generation that is happy living their virtual lives and having oodles of virtual 'friends' but what they are missing out on is real life experiences and the complexities of actual friendships.

Most all us 'old foggies' have wonderful memories of the simple stuff we use to do when we were growing up. Maybee that is all pretty lame in the eyes of today's kids but none the less they were real experiences. We also learned along the way about maintaining real friendships. An example of a real friendship is that you can call a real friend in the middle of a stormy night and tell them you are broke down somewhere and without hesitation help is on its way and more than that you wouldn't hesitate if you were the one being called for help. Try that with a virtual friendship.

So as inevitable as the the brave new world is, I still feel as if the young people of today are getting a poor bargain.

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It's not only cell phones and other electronics, it's how integrated circuits have taken over everything

Last week one of our refrigerators started freezing up, since I do HVAC/R I said no problem, probably just a defrost timer, wrong it has been quite a few years since I did any work on domestic refrigeration, it had a circuit board that replaces the timer and defrost termination thermostat, yup great technology $289 my wholesale cost to replace $7 worth of parts, and they priced it right at the threshold of fixing or scrapping it

A new replacement reefer like it was $1900 so I fixed the damn thing

And today the gas dryer went out, got to find a gas valve, of course it is made in china

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Steve!! next time you go to the theatre you need to be packing one of those novelty store rubber band zip gun pistols....then ping that little ingrate in the back of his puny lil skull...it works on my nephews especially since I went to the industrial strength rubber band that can almost hold lobster claws shut

17. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I was born in 1940, and if I didn't compute, e-mail, text and Skype I would never talk to my children, and especially my grand children, who are scattered all over the Continent, and lately the world.

Mixer is correct, time changes, things change; adjust, adapt and overcome - or die.

Kip

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Kip if I adjust, adapt, and overcome I won't die?????

By God I'll do it LOL

19. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One thing I have noticed is today very few people are willing to make a decision on their own. It is always a committee type thing. In the "old days" you were in a store and saw some thing, checked its price and decided you wanted it, then you bought it. Now today's crew pulls out their smart phone, browses the web, checks out a hundred different rating services, texts their Facebook "friends", gets on the newsgroups and blogs (i.e. like Trapshooters.com), then tries to digest the info and five days later actually goes to buy the thing but finds out that last one was sold and now there is a different model. Then the entire process starts again!

And this may be for something as complex as which box of shotgun shells to buy!

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot,

Steve hates technology except when he needs it to get on Trapshooters.com. That's funny.

I guess you could snail mail David your posts and have him post it for you. By the time he got it and went to post it, the thread would have slipped into cyber never land. I bet if you really sat down and think hard, you have been a part of the technological advancement of things more than you realize. You probably even use "high tech" items more than you think. Creatures that do not evolve, disappear into extinction. Look at history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rotan tx ata shooters