1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fed Top Gun reloads - chrono testing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

I posted this reply to a thread at SGW ... so I thought I would copy it here - in case anyone was interested.

I started off using Noble primers in the top gun hulls ... and had consistency issues ... especially in winter. I have since decided to only use the hotter Fed 209A primers in the paper-base top gun hulls. Also, my personal opinion is the CB clone of the Federal 12S3 wad is a better choice than the Downrange clone. In case you are interested, here are some of the chrono readings I got for various loads I was interested in. Note: this information is presented for reference only. You should research all load recipes personally for safety reasons.

TG hull, 505 gr lead, CB2118-12 wad, F209A primer, 17.1 claydot = 1130 fps

TG hull, 505 gr lead, CB2118-12 wad, F209A primer, 18.0 claydot = 1180 fps

TG hull, 505 gr lead, CB2118-12 wad, F209A primer, 19.0 claydot = 1218 fps

TG hull, 505 gr lead, CB2118-12 wad, F209A primer, 18.0 red dot = 1155 fps

TG hull, 505 gr lead, CB2118-12 wad, F209A primer, 19.5 red dot = 1210 fps

TG hull, 505 gr lead, CB2118-12 wad, F209A primer, 20.5 green dot = 1180 fps

TG hull, 505 gr lead, CB2118-12 wad, F209A primer, 20.5 international clays = 1200 fps

I seem to get the best crimps with ~ 505 gr of lead (#8 shot) - so that is what I load. I get 2 (sometimes 3) reloads from the maroon color hulls before the mouth starts to get brittle and show splits. My next chrono test - is to see if the newer colored FTG hulls (white, blue, pink) give the same velocity as the maroon colored Top Gun hulls.

2. pulllit

pulllit Member

Federal Top Gun - chrono testing

Blusky,

I found that the red, white and blue Top Gun hulls gave a 50 fps faster speed than the original maroon colored hulls. The reason is the plastic is about twice as thick in the multi colored hulls. YMMV though.

3. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

I wonder what the speed would be with 1 1/8 oz of shot [492gr] ??

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

How many of each did you run to get a average? Or is this from a single shell?

Ajax

5. pulllit

pulllit Member

Ajax,

5 shells of the multi colored and 5 of the thin wall original maroon color. The 50 fps difference was constant between the two.

6. bluskyshooter

Pull,
    Thanks for the info - I will see if I get similar results.
    Ajax - the test results I show were for 4-5 shots of each load recipe.

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Interesting information......

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

bluskyshooter and pulllit:

Hobby type chronographs (those available to handloaders) measure the speed of the leading pellet and ignore the rest of the pellets in a shot shell load.
    Industry chronos (used by shot shell manufacturers) have a different technology which allows them to measure the speed of the center mass of the charge. The difference is important because the center mass runs about 50 fps slower than the leading pellet. To get an accurate approximation of the center mass speed its necessary to subtract 50 fps from leading pellet speeds.

My question is this: are the numbers you reported raw numbers for leading pellet measurements or did you adjust for center mass?

sissy

9. bluskyshooter

Sissy,
    The numbers I reported are raw numbers. What I did for a point of reference ... was test fire some factory loads thru the Chrono. 10 shots of 1200 fps Rem Gun Clubs gave an average velocity of 1220. Dont know how accurate the gun clubs are, but if they are indeed 1200 .... then my Chrono was reading 20 fps faster.
    Brian

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Thanks. sissy

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Just curious about whether the test loads were run off on a loader or if the components were hand weighed to minimize variables?

Keller

12. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Great "real world" info!!!

Thanks for the skinny on top guns!!

13. bluskyshooter

Keller - the loads were definitely hand weighed to the exact number shown

14. pulllit

pulllit Member

Keller,

My reloads were from a hydraulic Spolar accurate to +/- .1 grain with Titewad powder.

sissy,

Cheap chronograph, calibration testing using a five shot string of factory Top Gun 2 3/4 dram 1
    & 1/8th. Average was 1150 fps. Reloads with multi colored hulls adjusted to 1150 fps. Original Top Gun thin walled ran 50 fps lower with same charge of Titewad. Components were the same.

pullit

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Maybe the standard deviation AND average fps would be more important. Particularly when discussing consistency. The SD is an equally important value.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.