1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fed Hulls as Good as Rem Hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

For what seems like forever I have reloaded ONLY Remington hulls, primarily Nitros. Lately, I have shot Federal Gold Metal (plastic) shells at the larger shoots and have fallen in love with how they break targets. Since my source for hulls is what I save from registered handicap shooting I have considered ditching the Nitros and duplicating the Feds.

Since I zero experience reloading Feds, my question(s) are:

1> How do they reload compared to Remingtons? Longevity, etc.

2> Given a choice, what hull would you choose...Rems or Feds?

3> Lastly, have favorite load for handicap and/or singles?

Thanks trapshooters,
    Mark

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like the Federal GM ribbed hulls and have reloaded 1000's without incident. There have been several cases of Federal GM plastic hull separation reported on this forum so I suspect that you will get a variety of responses.

Let me point out that I tend to load on the light side, i.e., 19.3 grains of Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz. (about 1125 fps) and 17.5 Grains of Red Dot for 1 oz. (about 1150 fps).

I also reload the STS hull with 16.5 grains of E3.

I reload the hulls until I get splits in the crimp. Last year, I had one many times reloaded STS hull separate above the brass and the entire hull/wad/shot assembly go down the barrel.

I have also notices several many times reloaded Federal Gold Medal plastic smooth hulls develop cracks in the hull and I dismantle these when I notice them.

I used to reload paper hulls and these hulls would sometimes "burn through" just above the brass. I am in the habit of checking after each shot to ensure I get a complete hull out of the gun.

If you shoot a pump or automatic for doubles, I would not use reloaded Federal Plastic Gold Metal hulls just to be on the safe side.

The old (pre smoothie)Federal Plastic Ribbed Gold Medal hull had an excellent reloading life. I hope the new ribbed hulls have the same reloading life.

For loading data, check the Alliant web site. Federal cases are straight walled so use Federal 12S3 (or clones) for 1 1/8 oz. and Federal 12S0 wads (or clones) for 1 oz.

Ed Ward

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Mark425:

I'm blessed with an abundance of once fired hulls. I could limit my choices if I chose to do so but I load AA, STS, Gold Medal plastic and an assortment of steel headed junk hulls including Estates, Top Guns, and Gun Clubs.

My favorite Gold Medal handicap load calls for 19.5 grains of Green Dot with a 12S3 or clone. Alliant lists this load using either a Fed209A or Win209 primer. Either version pushes 1 1/8 oz. of shot at approx 1145 fps. They're relatively soft and mash targets.

sissy

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I think you will find that gold medals produce alot less recoil that Nitro with equvilant loads. I have loaded a little bit of everything out there and I tend to stick to Federal hulls. I load 22grs of solo 1000, 1oz of shot, Fiocchi primer, and lightning wads. I conducted a little experiment awhile back just to see how long these hull can be reloaded before they were no good. I loaded the same 5 hulls 8 times before the crimps began to round out and the plastic became to weak and brittle to load. I dont have any nitro hulls to conduct the same experiment on but i would guess that they would last just as long. I say load what you have and go break targets.

5. 100straight

100straight Member

I've not loaded many of the smooth Gold Medals, but I used to reload the ribbed ones by the thousands. I would rate them as equal to the Rems if not just slightly better. I used to get 8-10 reloads per hull using 700X. Hope that helps.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't think the new Federal GM hulls are worth bothering with. The old ribbed ones weren't much better.

How about his, shoot the GM's as you are doing and ether let the hulls fly or sell them but get Remington hulls for reloading. They aren't that hard to come by. The Gun Club is an excellent hull for reloading even with its steel head. Usually these are free for the asking.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I load both, as per BYG I think less recoil with Feds, however Feds do require more powder & longer wads, seems to me I get a little better life from Rem. golds than anything out there today. Ross Puls

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The Fed Gold Medal hulls with the Flying Duck on the bottom of the brass are the best,but no longer available. That said,after 49 years of loading shotgun shells,I use the Fed for 1 1/8 oz & 1 oz loads & the STS for 1oz & 7/8oz loads. The longevity of the newer shells is about the same. I also only use brand specific componants,expensive as that may be. 19 PB for the GM & 16.3 Clays for the Rem. These all tend to shoot in the extra lite velocity range of each load & are the lightest recoiling loads I have found. Very uniform patterns also.

9. lostandout

lostandout Member

i load fed gm hulls and think its the best load going 18.5 g 700x waa12sl wad winchester primer 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 1200 fps tis is a very soft shooting load

brian

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

STS +1. IMHO crimp better and last longer but I reload both.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I load most hulls, including Eurotrash, and prefer the Fed GM hull to load. The Remmy might outlast it, but I don't load hulls to failure. Why put good components in a worn out hull?

12. lance howard

lance howard Member

I have loaded GM for years but ran into trouble with the smooth hulls. I do not have any of the new ribbed hulls but the old ones were very good. I had three separations with the smooth hulls and quit loading them. The STS hulls are very good but as others have commented here, the pressure (recoil) is more with a tapered hull. The old hulls were as good as any and I guess it boils down to whatever works for you. I loaded 20.4 green dot, 12s3 or downrange clone, Fed 209a primer, real nice handicap load. I have not heard of any problems with the new GM ribbed hulls but no one in my area has any for sale yet. I would appreciate any feedback about them. I load a lot of Estates with Fiocci 616 primers, 17.2 700X, DR wads, both 12SO clone and Rem TGT-12 with 1 oz 8 shot. Soft hard hitting doubles load. Load once and let em fly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i use loading data for fed gold hulls on fed champion hulls

federal gold metal huls with rem r12l wads