1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fed. Employee Gun in Mexican Murder?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by ljutic73, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bet they'll try and lie and "no comment" their way out of this too...

PHOENIX - Federal authorities were probing how a gun bought by a former top U.S. federal agent in Phoenix ended up at the scene of a fatal shootout that killed a beauty queen in Mexico, a U.S. law enforcement official said on Wednesday.

The weapon, found after a face-off between members of the Sinaloa drug cartel and Mexican military police, had been originally purchased by former Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Assistant Special Agent in Charge George Gillett, said the U.S. official, who declined to be named.

Killed in the deadly gun battle was Mexican beauty queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez and four others. The U.S. Justice Department Office of the Inspector General was investigating, the official said.

Gillett, who could not be reached for comment, was a key supervisor in a botched ATF sting known as “Fast and Furious,” a controversial operation that allowed more than 2,000 weapons to slip across the U.S. border into Mexico.

The bungled operation, triggered by gun purchases made in the Phoenix area, was envisioned as a way to track weapons from the buyers to senior drug cartel members.

Federal agents who ran the operation focused on building cases against the leaders of a trafficking ring, and did not pursue low-level buyers of those firearms.

Two of those guns were discovered at the murder scene of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry, killed in a shoot-out with suspected border bandits in southern Arizona in December 2010. It was not clear if the fatal bullets came from the weapons.

The gun found at the November crime scene in Mexico was an FN Herstal pistol, a high-powered weapon favored by Mexican drug cartel members, according to the law enforcement official.

The source said the weapon was purchased in the Phoenix area. Gillett acknowledged to CBS News the gun was likely his, but said he sold it through the Internet in 2011.

He declined to tell the Los Angeles Times why he purchased the pistol or how it ended up in the fatal shooting in Mexico.

“I’ve got no comment. I can’t discuss it,” he told the paper. “But it was a lawful transaction.”

Justice department officials in Washington, D.C., did not respond to a request for comment.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

What killing a car load when you can kill thousands through Fast and Furious!!

Another example of government, Do as I say, not as I do!!!

3. single stack

single stack Member

If Gillett sold the pistol legally through the internet there would
    have been a subsequent owner of record. It seems there was not
    Any subsequent owner of record so it may have been an illegal sale.

It is obvious he is an incompetent agent and deserves jail time.

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I think we should wait for the facts to come out before convicting and sentencing this agent. He may be 100% right on this transaction just as one of us would be if we sold a gun here and followed the letter of the law transferring it through an FFL holder.

5. single stack

single stack Member

Okay, okay. We'll give him a fair trial and then hang him.

I guess you're not from Langtry, TX. ;)

It seems that Gillett lied on his purchase form for the FN.

This article states he has been involved with walking guns since 1996.
    I guess it is simply ATF policy.

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-points-to-clinton-era-gunwalking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.