1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fed Cigar tax proposal - 10$ on EACH cigar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cigars<br>
    <br>
    2006 sales: 5.3-billion<br>
    <br>
    Current tax: 5 cents/cigar<br>
    <br>
    Proposed tax: up to $10/cigar<br>
    <br>
    Percent increase: up to 20,000<br>
    <br>
    It's no mathematical error: The federal government has proposed raising taxes on premium cigars, the kind Newman's family has been rolling for decades in Ybor City, by as much as 20,000 percent.<br>
    <br>
    As part of an increase in tobacco taxes designed to pay for children's health insurance, the nickel-per-cigar tax that has ruled the industry could rise to as much as $10 per cigar.<br>
    <br>
    "I'm not sure in the history of man, since our forefathers founded the country in 1776, that there's ever been a tax increase of 20,000 percent," said Newman, who runs the Tampa business founded by grandfather Julius Caesar Newman. "They had the Boston Tea Party for less than this."<br>
    <br>
    ------------------------------------------------------<br>
    <br>
    The rest of the story is at the link.<br>
    <br>
    And there have been even bigger tax increases proposed by liberal anti-gunners. Like taxes on ammunition running from 10,000 percent to 40,000 percent. Fortunately those got killed.<br>
    <br>
    This bears watching, because to fund these childrens programs they could easily turn to guns and ammunition next.<br>
    <br>
    BTW, I'm not a smoker. Never tried it, never will. But if people want to ruin their health enjoying tobacco, fine, I support their right (as long as I don't have to breathe it). Keep that in mind the next time some clown here says it's OK to ban certain kinds of guns.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Brian,

I see you fell for the MSM spin. See my post on the same subject.

3. Brian in Oregon

I fell for no spin.<br>
    <br>
    Congress makes the laws, and right now congress is controlled by the Democrats. Ergo, this federal tax is being pushed by the Democrat controlled congress.<br>
    <br>
    Further, the article PLAINLY states that Bush may veto it.<br>
    <br>
    Don't assume everyone here has the low IQ of spammie.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I think most people equate the "federal government" with the Administration, not Congress.

5. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

by his logic it was the repubs in congress responsible for the iraq mess...they had majority, no?

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sure would make the cartel' richer selling black market.

7. Brian in Oregon

JBrooks, quote: "I think most people equate the "federal government" with the Administration, not Congress."<br>
    <br>
    So you are telling us that congress has no control or oversight of the federal government?<br>
    <br>
    Once again, I replied, "Congress makes the laws, and right now congress is controlled by the Democrats. Ergo, this federal tax is being pushed by the Democrat controlled congress." What is it about this statement that you do not comprehend?

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Here is my post from the other thread.

"One of the interesting parts of this story is the media bias that it demonstrates. The St Petersburg Times is one of the most liberal/left/anti-Bush papers in the country, so it distorts who is really behind this ripoff. The second paragraph says ..."The federal government has proposed raising taxes on premium cigars, the kind Newman's family has been rolling for decades in Ybor City, by as much as 20,000 percent."

But it is not the "federal government" it is, as we learn down the page,"The Democrat controlled Congress has sought an extra $35-billion to $50-billion for the state children's health insurance program." and " A U.S. Senate version of the bill under consideration today in the Finance Committee sets the maximum tax per cigar at $10."

So, it really is the tax and tax Democrats in the Senate that are behind this, not the "federal government".

Ya think they won't sooner or later tax ammo and guns at confiscatory rates?"

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Another Catch 22---The government subsidizes the tobacco growers, the tobacco industry profits on the government subsidy. The government is facing major health expenditures as the result of tobacco usage. What's wrong with this picture? Solution, Terminate farmer subsidies, Force the tobacco industry to pay the future tobacco related medical expense. Get the government
    out of the farmer subsidy business. Presently, there are farmers that profit more from not planting then they do from harvesting. Here we go again,
    CATCH 22

10. bgf

bgf Active Member

Damn...at that rate, I will have to cut back my cigars from one a day to 2 a week.

My sticks already cost $12 per...but they are very good.

Bernie

11. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Maybe Monica is now the cigar inspector.

12. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

oh...how i yearn for a nice simple "cigar flavoring" scandal. Much simpler times. hehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.