1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fed 209A Promers/STS Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Mostly mine look too deep, but I use a 9000H.

Neil

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

John,

I suspect that these are once fired hulls, yes?

I have found that the Remington primer is shorter than all others and, therefore, the primer pocket in the hull is not as deep. When loading a primer other than Rem. the first time that primer pocket needs to be 'fire formed' to more easily accept the off brand primers. You will probably find that the second loading will not produce the same results and the primer will seat flush with the case head.

My suggestion is to adjust your seating depth deeper a little at a time, but not so deep that the bottom of the hull gets concaved. If the bottom gets too much of a dish shape to it then the firing pin may not reach the primer.

Hopefully, I have made myself clear. Contact me with ?'s and/or your findings.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

John,
    I'll take those STS hulls off your hands and will give you some Gold Medal hulls in exchange. Your primers will fit perfectly in them.

Ed Yanchok

PS I can drop them off at your house on Tuesday on the way to Bucks.

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've never been able to get Federal primers to seat in any Remington hull...AA yes, Remington no!

I gave up on that combination years ago.

Morgan

5. setter

setter Member

Some time back when I switched from loading AA's and Federal hulls to STS's, I had to raise the seating ram on the 2000 and lower the ram on my MEC. The STS's require more force to seat the primer.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The same goes for WW209's in STS. The first time you load them in an STS it takes a little more pressure. After that they slip right in, same with Cheddites. I just found this out.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'm with Capt. Morgan. Fed209A primers do not seat properly in STS hulls. The reason is they are not stepped at the top, as W209 are. Since they are full diameter all the way to the top, that extra .010" of length bottoms out in the primer pocket. That's why the seating flange on the primer stands proud. As Neil points out, the primer cap is already deep. If you "squash" the primer in so that the flange is flush with the base, the cup is too deep and may result in misfires.

BTW, I have zero problems using W209 or STS209 in STS hulls. No "fire forming" is required, ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.