1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

feathers in the meat; shot birds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

OK, not exactly trap shooting but...

Prepping pheasants we shot last fall, had feathers pulled through the meat from the shot penetrating the bird. I would up spending a lot of time slicing the meat open to expose the wound trail and remove the feathers.

I would imagine that the presence of feathers in the meat can cause it to spoil faster while being marinated?

I found that soaking in water and changing water often allowed the blood to clear out and the meat tasted better but how long will it keep fresh in the fridge espec with the feathers in the wound? Do you cut out the wounded areas?

Should I cook it within say 24 or 48 hours of being shot?
    thanks fir advise

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I can't answer your question about feathers in the wound channel, but this year use copper plated shot, It reduces this problem.

HBT

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've alwyas cut out the wound area and any feathers

4. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Properly stored meat, can be stored for quite some time, just like chicken.

I pan fry the legs and thighs than slow cook with onions and seasoning for eight hours or so. It turns out great.

My advice to prevent loose of meat is to shoot them in the head or butt. The head shots you can pick up, the butt shoots will need a Greyhound to run down if you get them on the ground :eek:)

Take care,

Jim

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Brown - N - Serve bag in the oven.

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

agree on the copper plated shot,,,,another little thing I do is use an old soft bristle tooth brush and brush the meat while cleaning under running water, gets a lot of them,,,,best bet is to shoot them in the head ;)

7. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

With a well trained dog such as my Border Collie, (they do make excellent bird dogs when started early) You do not have this problem if done correctly.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just shoot them in the head

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

# 4 shot with a heavy load will cure that,goes right through the bird

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I use nickel plated shot to almost eliminate feather draw. Any that are drawn in are easily removed by snagging with a toothpick (with the tip bent over) or with a nut pick.

BTW, nickle plating is 4-5 times better than copper wash for minimizing feather draw.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I always clean out any shot and trash from my game before soaking it in salt water overnight then rinse it throughly. I then vacuum pack it to prevent freezer burn. YUM! Hap

12. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Feathers are very high in fiber!! Eat them! LOL

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

A real man eats the feathers, the shot and the meat............all without even bothering to cook it.

I would have, but my Mother wouldn't let me.......lol

Hauxfan!

14. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I have lived and hunted in pheasant country over 50 years. I finally learned that 7 1/2 shot is the proper load for them. The lighter shot doesn't carry the feathers into the meat as bad and what few there are lie right next to the bone for easy removal if you fillet them. As a bonus the 7 1/2 shot kills cleaner and you won't have as many running cripples. Very few here will have killed and eaten as many birds as I have with the possible exception of Pheasantmaster and he ain't near as old as I am so he ain't near as cagey.

jim brown

15. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

the feathers don't work like exlax,,but ,they tickle the ---- out of you ,,,D.Lang

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pick the shot out with a tweezers, the feathers come out with it.

Re 7&1/2 shot: fine for tender pen raised birds, but if you go to South Dakota or Iowa where they carry over and are stronger (with lots of going away shots) you need something more to penetrate the back to hit a vital organ.

Copper 5's will do the job on those mature birds. 3 inch, 1 & 5/8 oz.(faster)

HM

17. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Halfmile,

With all due respect to your experience I have lived my entire life in Nebraska and Kansas. Some years over 200 birds were killed over my dogs. Not a one of them were pen raised birds. I have tried every load possible and all guns from 410's to 3" mag 12's. Without question 7 1/2 shot works best on the birds I have shot.

jim brown

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pen-raised or early season (a.k.a. dumb) pheasants over dogs can certainly be taken with 7-1/2's.

But rather than using a different load for early vs. late, I just choose 5's at about 1350 fps for all.

I have not seen a remarkable difference between lead shot, copper washed/plated, and nickel plated shot with respect to feather draw. I think they all pull feathers in to the meat equally well.

I reload my own, and Remington magnum 5's over 29.5 grains of Longshot kill the painted chickens quite well.

Shoot 'em in the lips!

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The trick when shooting pheasants is to break one wing & one leg. They can't run, they can't fly, and they flop around a lot, making the dog's life easier.

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

I was going to go after them with a 28 ga.

I think those loads only travel at about 1200 fps. I guess that I should forget about it and get a 12 - right?

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.