1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear and Loathing for Steel Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Why?

I'd like to hear what guys have to say about this. I know some at our club would rather shoot lead than steel; some may not care because they don't see a difference or they don't care to drive the extra miles to shoot lead.

The higher volume guys might see a small difference or they might not want to take a chance on scratching their barrels - they'll shoot their older guns with steel.

A friend of mine lost a barrel on a model 12 years ago to steel shot. Things have surely changed since then.

Regardless, I don't want this to become an us/them type of debate. It's not personal for me, that's for sure. I shoot either type as much as possible. I'm just interested in hearing what guys have to say.

What I should do next is send my Mach One barrel back to Dennis for an eval. It has seen plenty of steel shot, but that's with a wad with a thicker petal.

Joe

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Couple of excellent articles written in Sporting Clays Magazine in October and November 2008. While the cost comparisons are based upon using readily available shot and wads from retail purveyors, we know from our own experience the cost of steel is signficantly less than lead. Makes for a great read...

Jay

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Because the thin wall choke tubes in my sporting clays gun say "lead shot only"

4. frank t

frank t TS Member

My understanding is that smaller steel shot sizes will not negatively impact the barrel or choke. However, when u begin moving up to hunting size steel pellets the gun or choke should be proofed for steel.

Frank T

5. jimsw

jimsw Member

If you are serious about your shooting you won't like steel shot. I belong to a club that was forced to use steel and I have become a spectator. The US made shells are very bad, Kent and RWS are decent. At 16 yards steel seems to work ok. Decent breaks but few ink balls. At almost any handicap distance from 23 and back your scores will suffer.

The major problem seems to be recoil and noise, be sure to bring your hearing protection!

The physics are simple, to get any kind of energy you have to pick up the velocity, the mass is already down because the steel is light. The whole thing is working against you.

The early steel shot looked a lot like shot blasting shot, not round and with a gritty surface. The last thing I would put down the barrel of a good gun. The shot in the new shells is very nice almost like ball bearings. With the proper wads and choke tubes you probably won't damage the gun. I have a friend who shoots steel through an old Belgian Browning Broadway trap full and IM, no choke tubes and there isn't a mark in the barrel.

6. joe kuhn

Valid concerns my friends.

I should buy a new lead choke for my Mach One, measure inside diameters at both ends and shoot it with steel to see if there's any stretch.

I do know the lead full choke I've used with steel shot all summer still unscrews by hand with no problem.

It would be good to have a top yardage shooter try out some steel loads. I believe this is a valid concern, but to what degree, I do not know. In the end, it makes things a little more competitive.

Regards - Joe

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would first spend a lot of time at the pattern board before I ever took a box of steel shot to the line.

Pat Ireland

8. joe kuhn

Hi Pat - Yes, that might help with the yardage question. We should be more emperical about it but we've not had cause to. We can smoke the poop out of targets at 16 yards and everybody's in the same boat further back, so why expend the time?

We have checked some patterns but not with the good doctor Andrew's software. When you go further back the pattern is bigger - seems to be the same - no big holes, etc.

9. joe kuhn

Pat - Can we send you a flat of shells?

10. joe kuhn

Velocity does not necessarily mean higher pressures. You use a slower powder to get the higher speeds with average pressures. Be sure to use established recipes. We've done some testing ourselves as a club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.