1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FBI shuts down online gambling sites

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim101, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Three largest online poker sites indicted and shut down by FBI

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011/04/three-largest-online-poker-sites-indicted-and-shut-down-by-fbi.html

The founders of the three largest online poker sites were indicted on Friday in what could serve as a death blow to a thriving industry.

Eleven executives at PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker, Absolute Poker and a number of their affiliates were charged with bank fraud and money laundering in an indictment unsealed in a Manhattan court. Two of the defendants were arrested on Friday morning in Utah and Nevada. Federal agents are searching for the others.

Prosecutors are seeking to immediately shut down the sites and to eventually send the executives to jail and to recover $3 billion from the companies. By Friday afternoon Full Tilt Poker’s site displayed a message explaining that “this domain name has been seized by the F.B.I. pursuant to an Arrest Warrant

Jim

2. shelly

shelly TS Member

So now we know Obummer's plan to balance the budget and pay down the debt. What a man the Michelle is.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I heard that Michelle was down big time. I guess O'bamy wanted his money back??? Break-em all. Jeff

4. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that someone slipped in an amendment to the budget bill to let DC legalize on line gambling. Naaa. . . . that couldn't be it . . . could it???

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

If they can find a way to tax it the government will encourage it.

Robert

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Make no mistake -- the government definitely COULD devise a way to tax online poker/gambling and take-in countless dollars from all over the world to help our economy.

But we can not allow that because online gambling ruins families and destroys lives. I mean, it's not wholesome and harmless like PowerBall, Mega Millions and the individual state lotteries.

-Gary

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, that's the problem with our government -- too much ethics.

-Gary

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Now they will just move overseas like other businesses....

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Most already did.

-Gary

10. shelly

shelly TS Member

They were already based overseas so I don't see how the FBI shut them down.

11. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

From another reference, what the Feds did was attack these sites from their financial process handling activities. They went after three or four banks that were "told" the credit card transactions they were handling were for golf balls, or a few other things. Disregard that at least one bank official "negotiated" a $10,000,000 payment for his bank and was given a $20,000 personal "gift" for his help.

Here are some quotes from news coverage.

"Online gambling technically became illegal in the US starting in 2006, when legislators barred wire transfers, "payment system instruments," and credit cards from being used as payment methods for online gambling sites. Unsurprisingly, this didn't stop many gambling sites from running offshore operations and continuing to grow."

"According to the DoJ, however, 11 defendants behind these poker companies used fraudulent methods to trick payment processors like Visa and MasterCard into accepting payments from US users. Members from all three poker sites allegedly "arranged" for payments to be processed for things like jewelry and golf balls."

"It gets more sordid. After having bank accounts shut down in 2009, several defendants allegedly bribed small-time banking institutions into cooperating with the scheme. For example, a private bank in Saint George, Utah ended up accepting a $10 million "investment" from individuals behind the accused poker sites in exchange for the processing of gambling transactions, with a $20,000 bonus for the bank's vice chairman."

12. shelly

shelly TS Member

So that's how they did the dirty deed. Oh well, I'm sure all their customers will never gamble again- yea, right. Thanks to the nanny state and our fearless leader, Obummer, for saving us from ourselves.

13. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I don't gamble at all, but if the game is honest the Federal and State governments should have no right to stop citizens who want to gamble...Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.