1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite loads for 16 Yard VS. Handicap?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Don't want to start the dreaded 7.5 vs. 8 debate, but I would like to know if there is a difference between your favorite load for singles versus your favorite load for handicap. If you increase shot size or powder charge or both, at what yardage do you switch? Do you shoot the same shells from 22 yards as you do from 16 yards? Do you change chokes as you go back? Where do you change? Thanks for your expertise. Martinpicker

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Regardless of the load or choke used for singles or handicap at whatever yardage, consider the important issue of pattern dispersement of your loads. When fired, shotgun shells eject pellets in a more or less random pattern so say the experts. Once the pellets leave the bore they fly wherever they want. One only needs to look up and read the several scholarly threads written here on TS.com describing this phenomenon...it is real. Pattern percentages - even those at 100% at trap yardages have gaps between pellets. The experts have convinced me that "holes in the pattern" are a real and accepted part of trapshooting...but worse, you cannot do anything about it...even porting, backboring, choking, extended forcing cones don't help...those pesky pellets fly wherever they want, leaving holes where targets escape unscathed. A shooter may miss an occasional target (I have) but "holes in the pattern" are real and have a detrimental effect on scores. So, bite the bullet...er, pellet...and just choose whatever load you like. Best Regards, Ed

3. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

1.125 8 @ 1145fps 16's each shot on Doubles
    1.125 7.5 1200 fps 27 yards

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I use the same load from 16 all the way back to the 27, I am not a 27 yard shooter, but I practice there. 18.5 grains of Promo 1 1/8 oz shot. 19 grains is 1200 fps so I am just under.

Bryan

5. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I've run the gambit over the last year.

I have recently settled on 2 3/4 dr #8's from the 16yd line and 3 dr #8's for HDCP. Recently, I picked up a yard & a half from the 23 with it.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I think it's more of a mental issue than anything else. I try to keep it simple. I shoot 16 yard targets using 17.5 grains of Promo, Remington 209 primer, Down Range XL-1/18 wad and 1 - 1/16 oz. of Remington STS shot. If I load for handicap I just up the powder load to 18.2 grains of Promo. Ed

7. Martinpicker

Thanks guys. Not to beat a dead horse, but let's say I am shooting 1&1/8 0z #8s with 2&3/4 dram equivilant from the 16 through an improved modified choke,(1145 fps.)...would I benefit at 22 yards by going to 1&1/8 Oz #7.5s with 3 dram equivilant through a full choke,(1200 fps.)? Is my 16 yard load and choke still good from 22 yards?
    Sorry guys, but since I don't reload anymore, I have to sort of transpose your pet home loads to these specs for comparison. Thanks again, Martinpicker

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

No. Your fine..

Actually, quite a few big dogs shoot just what your shooting....

9. Habib

Habib Member

Martinpicker , Your stated 16yd load is the best choice from any yardage. No need to beat yourself up.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>I would like to know if there is a difference between your favorite load for singles versus your favorite load for handicap. </i>

Yes. One ounce at 1150 fps for singles, 1-1/8 ounce at 1200 fps for handicap.

<i>If you increase shot size or powder charge or both</i>

Both. 8's or 8-1/2's for singles, 7-1/2's for handicap. Though I am considering just using 7-1/2's for everything.

<i>at what yardage do you switch? </i>

I use my handicap load at any handicap yardage. Right now I'm at 24.

<i>Do you shoot the same shells from 22 yards as you do from 16 yards? </i>

No, I'd still use my handicap load.

<i>Do you change chokes as you go back? Where do you change?</i>

No. Fixed full for both. But that's because I have a fixed full choke in my unsingle barrel.

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Between the 16 and 23 yard line there is no reason to change from whatever shell your having success with at the 16. Pick what you like/available and stick with it. Beyond the 23 I like a faster shell and tighter choke....but thats just me. As to keep it simple, I shoot 7.5's at everything.

Mark

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Singles - Remington Premier hull, Cheddite 209 primer, either Clays or International Clays(whichever I have on hand),DR Econo wad, 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 or 8. My singles loads are about 1115 fps.
    Handicap - Nitro Gold hull, Cheddite, 20.2 grains of International, DR Econo wad, and 1 1/8 of 7 1/2. These are averaging just under 1220 fps. I'm on the 26 yard line. I have used the handicap load from 16 on back, but I change loads at 23 or 24 yards.
    My doubles loads are 1 1/8 ounce, just over 1000 fps for the first shot, and my singles load for the second.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Martinpicker, bottom line is a #8 shot load fired at 1145 fps will break 27 yard targets all day long!!! Now if it gets freezing cold the targets will get harder to break so larger shot will be needed when it gets real cold. But with that, some shooters have a hard time adjusting to the delay of the target breaks (after you pull trigger til the targets breaks) with this shell. Others think it is just plain needed. Try your 1145 fps loads from the 22 and see how you like them!!! Your the one that has to use them and believe in them, not us.... You will be better off with the slower shell if you can get used to the delay. IF you don't believe me try some of those low recoil, low noise Win.s that are 7/8 oz of lead fired at 980 fps. These shells will smoke a 16 yard target!!! Why beat yourself up for nothing. break em all Jeff

14. Martinpicker

Thanks alll. Especially thanks to Pull&Mark, as I have grown to respect your posts. (Same to you, Big M.) I will try my 16 yard loads from 22 yards at a money shoot this weekend. Martinpicker

15. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

I have been loading 1 oz #8s my buddy makes out of used wheel weights for 16yds and 1 oz of 7.5 magnum Lawrence shot back at the 24 with an Imp Mod. choke out of my Citori both using 17.5grs of Clays. The only change I make is the shot.

16. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Martinpicker
    I use 1 oz reclaimed 7.5 & 8's, cheddite primer, windjammer wad, 17 grains promo exclusively. Can't convince my shooting buddy that this is sufficient. Now he's shooting way better than I am but I feel it's related to me not being able to keep the gun in my hands due to my work. I'm no 27er, heck I'm a 19er but I have noticed one thing for sure related to chokes. Depending on the shell some loads pattern better than others. Remember last season @ Ozark? Day 1 I shot my stuff better than day 2 which was store bought Fed's. As long as I'm pullin' the trigger I'm getting better. See you on the line somewhere!!

Kurt

17. missemucho

missemucho Member

Could "Doughboy" be the Alaska kid? If so, our team won the league yesterday in a screaming wind and we're now so far ahead that we've got it made! Your buddy Dan is unhappy!
    John S.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess I answered the question as-written. But I agree with the guys who say to just use the shells you are using now, all the way back as far as you want. They'll break targets at the 27.

19. Martinpicker

20. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I load 161/2 grains of red dot pushing 7/8 oz of reclaim for singles and doubles mod/imp chokes and I load 191/2 grains of green dot pushing 1oz of #8 full choke for handicap and I shoot 25 yards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best 16 yard trap load

best fps for trap

best load for 27 yard trap

best shell for 27 yard handicap t171
best shells for 16 yd trap
trapshooters best ounce handicap load

what is best fps trap load pattern

what yardage should i pattern my gun at to shoot trap at 22 yards